Textbook Notes (368,986)
Canada (162,320)
Sociology (245)
SOC 222 (15)
Chapter 5

CHAPTER FIVE: What is a Theory and how do we test Theories?

1 Page
Unlock Document

Department
Sociology
Course
SOC 222
Professor
Owen Gallupe
Semester
Winter

Description
CHAPTER FIVE: What is a Theory and how do we test Theories? What is a Theory? (Basic parts of a theory) ­ Theories (1) list what is wanting to be explained, (2) list what is believed to be the cause –  independent and dependent variables/predictors and outcome, (3) theory explains why the IV causes  DV – i.e. why child abuse [IV] causes delinquency [DV] / (4) listing conditioning variables – factors  that influence likelihood of IV to cause DV o (4) Occurs in many theories, but not all – example of conditioning variable – not all who  suffer child abuse are juvenile delinquents, CV could include having problems at school that  could contribute to child abuse that would cause juvenile delinquency  ­ Theories share many of the same IV, but are distinguishable by descriptions of IV to the cause (Importance of studying theories of delinquency) ­ Theories help explain the “basic facts” of a theory, such as why certain individuals engage over  others, why engage at certain parts of their life like adolescence, and why some groups have higher  rates of delinquency than others  o i.e. why are males more delinquent than females ­ Research on causes are guided 
More Less

Related notes for SOC 222

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit