Sociology
Course
SOC 222
Professor
Owen Gallupe
Semester
Winter

Description
CHAPTER 7: Social Learning Theory DO INDIVIDUALS LEARN TO BE DELINQUENT FROM OTHERS? ­ Social learning theory says yes ­ Those who reinforce teach them beliefs that are favourable to delinquency, and  expose them to delinquent models ­ Sutherland’s differential association theory o Criminal behaviour is learned through communication and interaction with  others ­ Akers’ social learning theory o Operant conditioning  ▯individuals tend to repeat behaviour that are  rewarded and avoid behaviours are punished JUVENILES LEARN TO ENGAGE IN DELINQUENCY FROM OTHERS  ­ Learning the same way they learn to engage in conforming behaviour – through  association or exposure to others ­ Fact: having delinquent friends is perhaps the strongest predictor of subsequent  delinquency, other than prior delinquency ­ Learning through – (1) reinforcement, (2) being taught beliefs, (3) a model to  imitate THE DIFFERENTIAL REINFORCEMENT OF DELINQUENCY  ­ More likely to engage in delinq when others have reinforced delinq in the past,  and anticipation that reinforcement will continue The Frequency, Amount, and Relative Probability of Reinforcement ­ Reinforcement vs. punishment ­ Differential reinforcement ­ different behaviours have different probabilities of  being reinforced Positive/Negative Reinforcement ­ Positive reinforcement – behaviour results in some good consequence o Can be money, pleasure, attention, approval, increase in status ­ Negative reinforcement – behaviour results in the removal of something bad o i.e. friends call you coward because refusal to do drugs with them,  eventually trying drugs removes the “stigma” – this drug use has been  negatively reinforced Punishment ­ Positive punishment – involves the presentation of something bad o i.e. spanking, continuous lectures   ­ Negative punishment – involves the removal of something good o i.e. reducing allowance, “no TV for a week” The Sources of Reinforcement and Punishment ­ Key role that other people play in reinforcing and punishing our beha
More Less

Related notes for SOC 222

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit