EOSC 114: Fragile Systems Learning Goals
1. Explain what density is and how it relates to - Density: mass/volume. How much mass fits in a
- Stratification is layering of materials, where less
dense materials are on top, more dense on bottom.
2. Explain why disaster scales are based on the - disasters cover a large range of damage, so to
Order-of-Magnitude concept and interpret graphs cover them all with a reasonable scale system, use
with logarithmic scales. ratios (order of magnitude).
3. Relate natural-disaster risk and intensity to - Intensity is inversely proportional to frequency and
frequency, return period, and consequences return period (more intense = less frequent);
(costs). proportional to consequence and risk (more intense
= more damage)
4. Explain how recent disasters were associated - hurricanes sensible heat of sun evaporates
with the concentration or dilution of energy. water, warm air rises, accumulates in hurricane
- earthquakesafter long term buildup, PE is
diluted quickly into KE, heat, etc.
5. Get the disaster info you need from reliable
6. List the 1st and 2nd most common elements in Earth Core: 1. iron 2. nickel
the Earth, ocean, and atmosphere. Earth Crust: 1. oxygen 2. silicon
Ocean: 1. oxygen 2. hydrogen
Atmosphere:1. Nitrogen 2. Oxygen
7. Describe how viscosity and compressibility relate Viscosity: how much fluid can resist changing
to the phase of matter. shape, flow
Compressibility: compressing = liquid = solid
8. Be able to diagnose the type of strain by the way Ela