Chapter 1 – Jan. 9 2013
Order in Random Events
- Given random data, we look for order and meaningful patterns.
- we attend to what we agree with and ignore what we don’t.
- Examples: study on attitudes towards capital punishment
- Beliefs would go even more towards the polar extremes
- Solar Eclipse Example
- Phrenology Example skull shape determines personality
When it comes to knowing “truth”
1. We can’t trust our own personal experiences
2. We can’t trust opinions of friends, relatives
3. We can’t trust the opinions of “smart” people
- best protection against poor