Psychology
Course
PSYC 305
Professor
David King
Semester
Winter

Description
CHAPTER 14 APPROACHES TO THE SELF Descriptive Component of the Self SelfConceptselfconcept is the basis for selfunderstanding forms the answer to the question Who am IDevelopment of the SelfConcept selfrecognition with mirrors occurs on average at age 18 months pretend play requires selfrecognition children do not begin using personal pronouns I me mine until they gain selfrecognition abilities in the mirror selfrecognition is an important developmental achievement that allows child to go on to more complex manifestations of selfawareness first aspects of the self that people learn to identifyassociate with themselves are sexage occurs between 23 years or agefrom 3 to 12 childrens selfconcepts are based mainly on developing talentsskills starting with school years ages 5 6 onward children increasingly begin to compare their skillsabilities with those of otherseither better or worse than other children beginning of social comparison social comparison evaluation of oneself or ones performance in terms of a comparison with a reference group during this time children learn that they can liekeep secretsrealization that there is a hidden side to self development of an inner private selfconcept is a major but often difficult development in growth of selfconcept an imaginary friend may be childs first attempt to communicate to their parents that they know there is a secret part to their understanding of self later children develop full realization that only they have access to their own thoughts feelingsdesiresthat no one else can know this part of themselves unless they choose to tell others as grow from childhood to adolescence selfconcept changes from one based on concrete characteristics such as physical appearancepossessions to one that is based on more abstract psychological terms ie I have brown eyesbrown hair I am nine years old to I am an ambitious person I am a curious person final unfolding of selfconcept during the teen years involves perspective talking perspective talking ability to take the perspectives of others or to see oneself as others dowhy many teens go through a period of extreme selfconsciousness during this time focusing their energy on how they appear to others objective selfawareness seeing yourself as an object of others attention often experienced as shyness selfconcept is a distinct knowledge structure made up of many different elementsstored in our memories SelfSchemata Possible Selves Ought SelvesUndesired Selves once formed the selfconcept provides a person with a sense of continuityframework for understanding the pastpresent and for guiding future behaviour in adults selfconcept is a structure made up of building blocks of knowledge about the self a multidimensional collection of knowledge about the self selfconcept is like an network of info in memory which organizesprovides coherence to the ways in which we experience the self guides how each person processes info about him or herselfselfschema refers to the specific knowledge structure or cognitive representation of the selfconcept example
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 305

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit