Nov. 28, 2013
You can be a direct realist, an indirect realist, or an idealist.
One of the most important argument in support of indirect realism (indirectly seeing an
object in the world that is causing the object in your mind):
Primary/Secondary quality distinction
2 ways to refute:
1. How do you know that secondary qualities are not primary qualities?
2. How do you that primary qualities aren’t like secondary qualities?
1. Locke’s arguments for distinction:
1) Continuum from felt sensation to pain; particles of substance cause pain and
sickness and also other sensations
-pain is not an idea in the fire
2) Variability of secondary qualities as opposed to stability/constancy of primary
2.1 – Same substance at constant temperature (ex: water) cold to one hand, hot to
other viii 21
-primary qualities are in the object
4) Corroboration of primary qualities by different senses; secondary only singular
5) Causal explanation of natural events or phenomena does not require secondary;
6) Bennet: si