DGD 2 – Chap. 26, 29, 30
What is multiculturalism? Kymlicka
• 1970 (Trudeau) idea introduced by implementing policies and programs that allowed
people to practice their original traditions
• Shapes our identity – acknowledging that our country is composed of many cultures
• 2 sides: we are multicultural and it’s something to shape our identity around
Rocher – Why does he oppose multiculturalism?
• From the Quebecois standpoint
• 4 big problems with multiculturalism
• Natural identity – multiculturalism breaks down Canadian identity – fragments Canada –
strengthen the separatist movement. Canada founded on biculturalism. Threat to the
Quebecois minority, who already struggle to gain recognition in a bicultural country.
Bicultural identity becomes fragmented by adding other cultures to the mix.
Bouchard-Taylor Commission - Secularism in Quebec
• Reasonable acc