Week One Notes - Intro
• Web changed us personally, interpersonally and economically. In other words, how we act,
how we interact and how we live.
• Internet today runs on binary codes, 1’s and 0’s.
• Telegraph is the first form of internet.
Week Two Notes – New World
• Telegraph made in the 19 century. Internet actually began in 1950’s.
• ARPA – advanced research projects agency, created in 1958. Later named DARPA – with
Defense. In 1972. Created to form and execute research about technology and science in
response to the Russians launching Sputnik in 1957.
• Before the internet, data was stored in large computers, and were programmed using punch
cards called Fortran.
• In 1982, the internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) was standardized and allowed for ease of
connection between other networks.
• Packet switching allows large pieces of information to be broken down into smaller pieces
and can go different routes to their destination.
• Internet is a physical network that carries all the information. The type of information that is
carried on it differs, but it can all be carried on the same network.