Chapter 15: Treatment of Psychological Disorders
THE ELEMENTS OF THE TREATMENT PROCESS
Treatment, clients, therapists
What are the treatments for psychological disorders?
1. Insight therapy – talking about it
2. Behaviour therapy – classical conditioning etc...
3. Biological therapy – drugs
Who seeks therapy?
About 90% of Canadians seek therapy. It doesn’t have to be a disorder but sometimes people just seek
Who provides professional treatment?
• Clinical psychologist – treatment of fullfledged disorders
• Counselling psychologist – treatment of everyday shit
• Devote most of their time to severe disorders than psychologists
Other mental health professionals
• Nurses... LOL ew
Involve verbal interaction to enhance clients self knowledge and promote healthful changes in personality
What is Psychoanalysis
Insight therapy which involves recover of unconscious conflicts
What are the procedures used in psychoanalysis?
Probing the unconscious
1. Free association – talk about thoughts and feelings without censorship
2. Dream analysis – interprets dreams
• Basically the therapist tries to tell you the significance of the thoughts, behaviours and feelings
• Unconscious defensive manoeuvres to hinder therapy
• Unconsciously starts relating to their therapists in a way that mimics critical relationships in their
What are modern psychodynamic therapies?
1. Focus on emotional experiences
2. Exploration of efforts to avoid distressing thoughts and feelings
3. Identification of recurring patterns in patients life experiences
4. Discussion of past experience 5. Analysis of interpersonal relationships
6. A focus on therapeutic relationship
7. Exploration of dreams and other aspects of fantasy life
What is clientcentred therapy?
• Insight therapy that provides a supportive emotional climate for clients, who choose their own
pace, direction in therapy
Why is therapy climate important?
Therapeutic alliance: bond between therapist and client, which grows over time.
To create a positive climate with emotional support there has to be 3 conditions:
2. Unconditional positive regard
What is the therapeutic process?
• Working together as equals
• Therapist gives little guidance and lets the client sort out their feelings.
• More farreaching insights
What are therapies inspired by positive psychology?
• Psychotherapy attempts to get clients to recognize their strengths, appreciate their blessings,
savour positive experiences and find meaning in their lives.
What is group therapy?
• Basically a group of people being treated at the same time.
• Generally has 415 people, participants are therapists themselves
• It costs less
What are couples or marital therapy?
• Couples or martial therapy – treatment for both partners in a comminted, intimate relationship
• Family therapy – treatment of a family as a whole, focus on communication and family dynamics.
How effective are insight therapies?
• Its complex and difficult to evaluate.
• Modern evidence suggests that they are superior to no treatment of placebo treatment
Involves application of learning to change the clients maladdptive behavious
1. Behaviour is a product of learning
2. Anything that can be learned can be unlearned.
What is systematic desensitization?
Behaviour therapy used to reduce clients anxiety responses through counter conditioning
1. Create a anxiety hierarchy chart 2. Training client in deep muscle relaxation
3. Work through the hierarchy chart and learn to remain relaxed