Islam - an Introduction
Chapter 1 (1-9)
Arabia before Islam
- Jahiliyya - time of ignorance
- Virtues of Bedouins - bravery, boundless hospitality, revenge, faith in an immutable fate, but doesnt
display much religious consciousness.
Chapter 2 (11-17)
- was born in about 570 in Mecca as a member of the Hashim clan of the Quraish
- he lost his parents early and was brought up by his uncle - Abu Talib
- he devoted himself to trade
- after his come successful journeys to Syria, called al-amin for his reliability, married his employer,
Khadija, who was his senior.
- Khadija - bore him several kids from which only 4 survived
- she died when he was 50 and he did not marry anyone else
- when he was 40 he started having hallucinations which Khadija supported him for
- on page 12 - description of how judgment day will be
- tauhid - the acknowledgement of God's unity. Shirk - associating something with God
- the duty of human beings is to surrender to this unique, omnipotent God, the Merciful, the
Compassionate; to surrender from the bottom of one's heart, with one's whole soul and with one's
- the word Islam means this complete surrender to the Divine will; and the one who practices such
surrender is a Muslim.
- the Muslims,