Chapter 3: Socialization
SOCIAL ISOLATION AND SOCIALIZATION
Socialization: people learn their culture by entering and becoming aware of themselves as they interact
• So finding out who you are is a main part of teenage years, however only one part of the process
• Family, peer groups etc are the agents of socialization
• Childhood helps form who we are
Who is Freud and what did he do?
He said babies become for form slef image when their needs are denied.
Child begins to act and behave morally
Only social interaction can allow the self to emerge
Who is Cooley and what did he do?
Idea of lookingglass self is our feeling about who we are depends on how we see ourselves evaluated by
Who is mead and what did he do?
Mead came up with the ideas of ME and I
• I: subjective and impulsive self
• Me: objective; from interaction
4 Stages of development
1. Imitating important people in life by using language
2. Pretend to be other people
3. Play complex games to take the role of several other people
4. Taking the role of generalized other (image of culture standards applied on themselves)
What are some gender and civilization differences?
• Boys are allowed to run around be little shits where girls have to wear the pants and do something
with their lives. This affects them later in life
• China and Greece were at different levels, China worked together as a whole to make a huge
system Greece was like fuq you guys everything is hidden.
HOW AGENTS OF SOCIALIZATION WORK
• Functionalists: socialization helps maintain social relations
• Conflict and f