Chapter 2: Culture
CULTURE AS PROBLEM SOLVING
• Culture: all the ideas, practices and objects that people use to deal with problems
• High culture: consumed by upper class
• Popular/ Mass culture: by everyone
• Society: people who interact and share a culture
THE ORIGINS & COMPONENTS OF CULTURE
3 main tools of cultural survival kits
• Abstraction: the capacity to make ideas or ways of thinking that are not linked to
instances (FIRST TOOL)
• Symbols are things that carry meaning, classify experiences
2. Norms and values
• Cooperation: working with others.. LOL (SECOND TOOL)
3. Production, Material, Culture, & Nonmaterial
• Production: making shit that helps humans (THIRD TOOL)
• Material culture: tools that help people accomplish tasks
• Nonmaterial culture: symbols, non tangible.
What are the 3 types of norms?
1. Folkway (social preferences)
2. Mores (social requirements)
What is the SapirWhorf Thesis?
• Language: symbols strung together to communicate
• SapirWhorf Thesis
o We form concepts of things we experiences and develop language to express it. Language
itself influences how we see the world
CULTURE AS FREEDOM AND CONSTRAINT
What’s a functionalist analysis of culture?
• Culture is often invisible people are naive when it comes to others cultures but take theirs for
• Ethnocentrism: judge other cultures FUQ THE PORK CHOPS
• Manifest functions: visible effects of social structures
• Latent functions: invisible effects of social structures
CULTURE AS FREEDOM