Orientalism by Edward Said.
- orient has been an European invention
- A place of romance, exotic beings, hunting memories/landscapes/ experiences.
- Have a European representation of the orient
- Americans will view the Orient as associated with the far East( china, japan)
- Orientalism- a way of coming to terms with the orient that is based on the European
- The orient is not only adjacent to Europe but also the richest/greatest and oldest colonies;
source of its civilizations, languages, cultural and recurring imagine of the “Other”
- The Orient has helped Europe to show a contrasting imagine, idea, experience, personality.
- The academic world talks about orientalism but the term is not preferred by specialists.
- Appeared in 18th century, with a regulated traffic between the 2 in the academic world.
- Orientalism- is a style of thought based upon an antological and epistemological distinction
made between “the orient” and “the Occident”
- Many writes have defined the distinction between East and West
- Orientalism- can be described and analyzed as the corporate institution for dealing with Orient.
- Without examining Orientalism one cannot understand the disciple by which the European
culture was able to manage and even produce-the orient politically, sociologically, militarily,
ideologically, scientifically, and imaginatively during the post-Enlightenment period.
- In the author’s opinion, nobody can write or think without taking in account the limitations on
thought and action that Orientalism imposes on us.
- Until the end of WW2 the Orient/Orientalism was dominated by the closeness of France,
Britain; since WW2, America has dominated it
- Men make their own history- “Orient and Occident” are men-made.
- 1. Wrong to conclude that the orient was essentially an idea, or creation with no corresponding
- 2. to believe that the orient was created simply of pure imagination is to be Disingenuous
- Flaubert-because of his West- power over the Egyptian courtesan to describe/represent the
model of an “typically oriental woman”,
- 3. One must never assume that the structure of Orientalism is nothing more then lies/myths.
- Not a European fantasy but a created body of theories/practices, with a considerable material
- Gramsci- made the useful analytic distinction between the civil and political society; where the
former is made up voluntary by the direct dominated affiliations such as schools, families,
unions, the police, army, etc.
- Culture operates within the civil society and is not imposed by domination but by consent
- Hegemony- (gramsci)- is a cultural leadership where certain ideas, cultural forms, people
dominated over others
- Denys Hay- the idea of Europe; a collective notion identifying “us” against “those”; indeed the
idea of the European culture to be superior in comparison with other cultures/people made
- The idea about the orient as being backward in comparison to the European culture.
- General(distortion)- particular( inaccuracy)
- The culture created the interest that acted together with the economic-political rationales to
make the orient look like the varied/complicated one
A place of romance, exotic beings, hunting memories/landscapes/ experiences. Have a european representation of the orient. Americans will view the orient as associated with the far east( china, japan) Orientalism- a way of coming to terms with the orient that is based on the european experience. The orient is not only adjacent to europe but also the richest/greatest and oldest colonies; source of its civilizations, languages, cultural and recurring imagine of the other . The orient has helped europe to show a contrasting imagine, idea, experience, personality. The academic world talks about orientalism but the term is not preferred by specialists. Appeared in 18th century, with a regulated traffic between the 2 in the academic world. Orientalism- is a style of thought based upon an antological and epistemological distinction made between the orient and the occident . Many writes have defined the distinction between east and west.