ANTA02 – In Search of Respect; Chapter 5
- Social margnz’n is constructed & enforced in the interfaces among family friends and school, especially
for pre-teenage years.
- Mainstream society’s early socialization tool for inner city = public school.
o Kids of immigrants: their institutional alienation compounded by cultural/generational gap
that destabilized the traditional household power relations.
o Bourieu: forms of cultural intrxn, like literacy = basis of “symbolic capital” which structures
power in society – no capital = no power ie: mom loses power to school over son because
she can't speak English.
o Cultural production theory: teachers unconscious process subliminal class and cultural
messages to hierarchies their students using:
Tangible markers like accent, clothing.
Subtle markers like eye contact, play style, attn spans.
o Hierarchy use to persuade agents of mainstream mid-class white dominated bureaucracy that a
partic child is has a discipline/emo/learning problem.
- Aesthetics: graffiti on walls = triumph over institutionally hostile environment t/f the aesthetic
of human genius asserts itself in face of despair/oppression – aesthetics of security? Territoriality?
- Violence then organizes daily school life => becoming primary memory– fight/fuck for respect.
o Its nec for youths to cultivate violent personas when shifted from one school to another.
o It conflates w/machistic focus on sexual conquest = parameter for schoolyard respect
The peer group= the other socializing force pushing marginal children into street culture and
- They learn from each other (non-academically) and spend time cultivating street identity In & outside