ANTA02 – In Search of Respect; Chapter 8
Public policy attempts to get fathers to stay with baby mamas misguided b/c its not fatherlessness that
destroys child’s morals – its poverty and abuse.
- Problem: too many abusive fathers in nuclear households terrorizing kids/moms and women
take too long to become single mothers, tolerating abuse.
- Material basis for fathers failing to support their kids = high school dropouts can't find secure
jobs that would allow them to maintain conjugal households on a single income (tradition patriarchal
Jibaro identity offers appositionally based sense of dignity & respect.
- Patriarchal order-producing categories of traditional legacy revolves around gender, age, kin
are in flux.
Due to disruptive experiences of prolonged colonial dependency, migration,
urbanization & ghettoization.
Disruption worsened by material base of street culture – specifically entry-level labor
market & the underground econ that condemns people to poverty, econ insecurity,
high levels of institutional/personal violence.
Street culture & underground econ = alternative forum for redefining sense of masculine dignity.
- Instead of financial/emo support for progeny in nuclear family, dignity defined around
promiscuity, conspicuous violence & ecstatic subs abuse.
Ex. Lashing out violently against families they’re unable to support .
- Eddie’s analysis of sexuality, promiscuity: if you have money you don’t have to be defined
through women – or maybe it's an ego thing to boast to friends but in reality it's an escape from the
truth that I’m tied down w/a kid to