ANTA02 – In Search of Respect; Chapter 9
Drugs aren't root problem – they’re the medium for desperate ppl to internalize frustration, resistance,
The problem of drug abuse is worsening b/c of a polarization of the structural roots that generate self-
destructive behavior & criminal activity.
- Restructuring of world econ by: multinational corp/finance capital/digital techno AND
exhausting social democratic models for public sector intervention on behalf of the poor has
ESCALATED inequalities around class/ethnicity/gender.
- Ethical concerns and political energies invested in narrowing SES divide (persistence of inner-city
poverty amidst extraordinary wealth in NYC) & recognizing/dismantling the class & ethnic based
- Need to alter econ imbalance b/w rewards of legal econ VS rewards of underground econ:
1. The econ dynamism of drug economy must be reduced.
2. Fragility and hostility of entry-level labour market needs transformation.
- Short-term cheap/realistic public policy to eliminate materi