ANTA02 – In Search of Respect; Chapter 3
- Selling crack is like any business selling high-volume cheap commodities – it requires honest/disciplined
workers - usually has management VS labourers confrontations and employee hierarchies.
- Omnipresent danger, high profit margin, desperate addiction keeps crack dealing from becoming
Ray’s crack house management style req’s street capital “knowing where to set violent limits, when to
show friendship &having flexible understanding w/out showing vulnerability”.
- Done via manipulating kinship networks.
o Majority employees are blood related or affiliated thru marriage.
o Some incorporated thru fictive kinship like Godfather, making them & Ray Compadre (in P.rican
culture sanctifies solidarity & reciprocal obligations between men).
o Quasi-kin rel’p w/men thru women that have serial households by different fathers.
- Lowering prices and upping product quality – outcompeting +pressuring other drug pushers to respect
- Investing profits into expanding crack houses ie La Farmacia.
- Investing in loyal employees – B/c Primo was a formal/founding member he was eligible for bail
money, lawyers fees, bonus during special holidays, periodic gifts for his son, etc.
Curbing addiction and channeling violence:
Primo hired lookouts that were crack addicts.
- To some extent out of sympathy, in attempt to curb their addiction.
- To enable paying lower wages and more dependant working conditions (sub cash for crack).
Caesar = good look out b/c he personified personal logic of violence in street culture of terror by