BIOA01H3 Chapter Notes - Chapter 22: Gamete
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
Sharan Chinniah BIOA01
• Prezygotic Isolation: Isolating factors that occur before fertilization of the egg.
o Behavioural Isolation: Mating based on specific behaviours: rituals, songs, etc.
▪ Chimpanzees and humans (sister taxa) will never provoke reproductive
▪ In plants, the incompatibility of incoming pollen with receiving flower
known as gamete isolation.
o Mechanical Incompatibility: The genitalia of a species is incompatible with other
o Temporal Isolation: Species are isolated in time.
o Geographic Isolation: Species are isolated in space.
▪ Two species of ladybug beetle are intimately connected to different
plants. They will almost never interbreed.
• Postzygotic Isolation: Isolating factors that occur after fertilization of the egg.
o Genetic Incompatibility: Mating between two organisms with varying
▪ Zygote fails to develop because the parental genomes are significantly
▪ Offspring is viable and matures; however, is infertile.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version