Chapter 7 – Myths of the Great God Apollo
Apollo – the far darter, god of prophecy
• Called Lycian so From Asia Minor? Or wolf like because he used to
protect Sheppard’s from wolves.
• With their Tinaness mother, Leto Apollo and Artemis formed a devine
• Leto – mother of devine twins, ready to defend honour
• Apollo – sungod as artemis was before thought to represent dark and
• Although has archer, he is not hunter but it holds disease.
• Apollo’s priests daughter is kidnapped, and Apollo saves her
Birth of Apollo on Delos
• Titanus Leto (daughter of Coeus and Phoebe) was a mistress of
Zeus. She was persecuted by Hera. She said that no land will see
• Delos and Ortygia, two floating islands were exceptions. Apollo was
born on Delos, Artemis on Ortygia hanging on a palm tree
Apollo at Delphi • Apollo becomes oral poet playing for choral dance and singing and
entertaining to join the gods at Olympus.
o Apollo beat satyr Marsyas master of the double flue with his
lyre skills in a musical contest and the winner can do as he likes
so flayed him alive
o Apollo wondered in Olympus looking for a place to build oracle
but at Telphusa the nymph fearing competition persuaded him
to go somewhere else to precipitous Parnassus slopes.
o Apollo defeats serpent Python and kills Telphusa for sending
him to the dragon infested place and buries her in a cliff and
builds a shrine for himself
• Apollo wondered how to get priests fir his new temple at Delphi so
turned into a dolphin and jumped aboard a boat, went back to man
and took them as priests.
o He assured them they would have food even though there were
no crops in precipitious slope.
o To be cleansed from miasma (blood) he went to foot of
Olympus and did rituals