HLTB15 WINTER 2013
Week 3 Reading: Health Services Research – An Evolving Definition of the Field (Lohr & Steinwachs)
- 1966: Health Services Research is formally recognized
- 1969: Dr. Sanazaro described health services research as a field that develops methods for
improving ACCESS to care, MODERATING the rate of medical care PRICES, and assuring
EFFECTIVENESS of care.
- 1972: Report of the Panel on health Services Research & Development of the President’s Science
o Health services research seeks to improve the NETWORK for providing health care so
that the fruits of biomedical research are readily available to ALL CITIZENS.
- 1979: Institute of Medicine Report
o Health services research is inquiry to produce knowledge about the STRUCTURE,
PROCESSES, and EFFECTS of personal health services
- 1995: Expanded IOM definition
o Health services research is a MULTIDISPLINARY field of i