Lecture 7 Chapter 14
Cantor – does research on Sex
Transsexuals – are a very complicating group – treated as an extreme form of gay
There is more than one type in psychology:
- Hetero/homosexuality – relative to the sex you are born as
- Gender Dysphasia – you want to process the other one – discontent but not
transsexual – because of their family, surgery, etc
o Transsexuals -- the extreme form of gender dysphasia – they want to
physically transitioning their bodies.
- Cross-dressing: behavior, not an identity. It happens only really in males.
o Fetishistic: it is an erotic experience, it is not just fun. They are
sexually aroused when they do it.
o Drag Queen: entertainment purposes
Radical feminist believe there is no such thing as male & female – therefore there is
no way to transfer different genders, they don’t agree with transgender sexuality.
Plum Pudding Model:
Gynandromorphism: A not straight, gay or bi – attracted to a female body with a
Female to Male transsexuals
- More simple (one kind)/uniform
- Biologically female but look like a young adolescence male
- Practically always are lesbian, or had a phase of life being lesbian
- Are not just tom boys – they are very masculine in childhood – give
themselves boy names
- Worst part of their lives when puberty starts – that’s when they usually put
into clinic and the most upset (late teens – early 20’s)
Female to Male Surgeries (not as advanced as male to female)
* Radical hysterectomy: taking out uterus
* Chest re-contouring: same as women with breast cancer would use – changing roundness into a v-shape. Nipple are uneven because tissue swells & doesn’t heal
evenly. Not a lot of sensation in the nipples – because it is removed then reshaped.
* Metaoidioplasty: cartilage that hold clit in place – it grows larger with testosterone
– start to looks like little penis. It severing piece of tissue so it hangs out a little
further to look like a penis. Looks like small circumcised penis. They get testicular
implants -- labia are closed. Body tends to reject them.
* Phalloplasyy: actual surgical construction of a penis from nothing – usually from
for arm or inner thigh – for 6 inch need foot long of tissue (including muscle). Tends
to become infected a lot – the urethra. Most patients are very happy with this.
Male brain has more trouble with being in love with the person not the genitals –
women are a lot more flexible.
Male-to-female transsexual subtypes (we hear much more about this)
* Androphilic: biologically male – attracted to males – (homosexuals) – gay men so
gay better off being women. Come to clinic very young – sometimes in child clinic.
Will not play sports – not what they are into. They are substantially younger on
average than non-adrophilic (15 years!). Inch and a half shorter than non-
andropilic! What ever is going on is dramatic, and happens long before person goes
to lab. Androphilic ones are lighter!
o Two theories:
o Whatever happened during development Androphilic – didn’t maculizize their
brain fully – they are short (as women are shorter than men)
o Sociological thing – ones attracted to men only want to become female if they are
short enough to!
Gay men have older brothers then straight men – they are later in the order. There is
some association with birth order and being gay. The more older brothers a man