Prefrontal cortex- central regulator and executive control.
- Has close connections with the limbic system
Evidence that prefrontal cortex is involved in the regulation of emotion:
1) Damge to orbitofrontal cortex, results in patients being unable to regulate their emotional
behaviour. They show emo behaviour inappropriate to the social context. They also show
inappropriate self-conscious emo, which is involved in reg of social behaviour.
2) Regions of the prefrontal cortex are activated when people try to inhibit emo responses to
evocative stimul- --study: involved reappraising negative phots. Reappraisal led to greater
activation in sub areas of prefrontal cortex
Lateralization of emo
Right side is involved in the emotion processing
Damage to right –difficulty in recognizing facial expressions
3 kiinds of evidence:
1) People tend to interpret the expression in terms of the part relayed to the right brain. One side
of brain : right is more imp in the processing of the emotional expressions.
2) When faces are flashed on to the screen,r ecognition si better for faces flased in the left visual
3) Ability to detect lying and its hemispheric lateralization. Patients with damge to right cortex
were worse at detecting whether people were lying
For experience, there is no right-sided superiority for emo venets vs nonemo