Topic: crime and deviance
- Crime is one of the top three issues in Canada
- Violent crime is now on the rise
- COPS – television show, never shows white collar crimes, always associated with lower class
- Deviance is any behaviour that violates cultural norms that brings about a social reaction. Some
norms carry no criminal sanctions when they are violated such as friendship norms. Violating
norms can also get you into jail, depends on whether criminal sanctions are present or not.
- Two types of deviance:
o Criminal deviance:
o Non criminal deviance:
- Classification system of crime
o Juvenile: treated differently under criminal code with different set of laws.
Agent which person is charged as an adult is controlled by the federals.
Treated with great concern, don’t want to make person a persistent offender.
Usually males, females usually associated with shoplifting.
Males usually associated with stealing cars, assault, drugs, B&E (break and
enter: can include homicide)
- Labelling period of crime:
o labelling person as criminal during adolescence can have impact on the person’s