CLA160H1 Chapter Notes -Protogeometric Style, Black-Figure Pottery, Tupperware
This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Jan 21, 2013
Pottery and chronology
- Absolute sequence- attach to fixed time- newest dates to 400ad…. An exact dating
- Relative- ex. This is oldest,, older…. Oldest new…newest
Explanation to why pottery is so important and it’s such a big thing.
- Locations regional differences, find spots
- Everyday life
o Types/images (myth, historical events)
- Chronology- changes in style
- Social stratification
- Religious practices
- Funerary custom
- Social/culture stratification
- Cooking: different food tradition with different utensils, course ware
- Technology: made to look like something else and replicate it visually
- One of the obvious entry interest is Greek pottery is painted*
- Particularly put on interesting things on it: scenes of myth, historical events, characters, myths,
everyday life, etc. in terms of myth stories, myth image are interesting. Episodes by
MYTHOGRAPHERS don’t often have.
- Occupation is interesting. These occupations don’t come into literary record and interest.
Sometimes these scenes don’t make into written work because low status or wrong gender for
male elite to bother with. These scenes depict performances and symposia.
- Pottery’s utility: ceramic. What do we use for ceramic? Tea sets, tableware, flower pots.
- Containers: glass jars, Tupperware, plastic, bottles, zip-lock, garbage bags, grocery bags… (plastic)
- Pottery was everywhere because mud was everywhere.
- Relatively easy to make.
- Utility of pottery*
By studying pottery, its distribution, we completely open up industry, commerce, techonology, trade
networks, economic systems, changes in ancients economy, shifts of comoodity, tehcn advance, and
- Scientific anaylsis: actual composition of clays gives views of industrial for making and
gathering… we find location of clay sources. Recyclying of older into new and therefore we can
track the transfer of methods of making ceramic from one group to another.
- Chronology: arachalogycal context…. We can know the trvel of pots, good understanding of
specific time and periods and give chronological changes. Not just big mediterancan patterns
but long period of developments and indication. Pottery is holding antiquity together. Covers all
areas of life and covers full length of time.
- First clue that a site lies on the ground*
- We have attic sequence, Corinth sequence, beotian sequence, etc. sequencing types involve a
lot of subjective decision making. is this pot lder than that pot. How do you tell? Is this pot
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version