IRE431H1 Chapter Notes - Chapter 39: Labor Management Relations Act Of 1947, Bargaining Unit, Majoritarianism

28 views5 pages

Document Summary

Unions can get legal right to represent employees in two ways: Voluntary recognition: employer agrees to bargain with a union that has not been certified. The pillars of the canadian collective bargaining model: majoritarianism and exclusivity. Collective agreement negotiated by union covers every employee in bargaining unit. Concepts of majoritarianism and exclusivity were borrowed and incorporated into canadian collective bargaining legislation. Requires majority support to acquire legal right to represent employees. If 51% of employees support unionization, their decision sweeps the remaining 49% of employees who rejected unionization into the collective bargaining regime. 80% of canadian employers actively resist attempts by employees to unionize through lawful persuasion in the form of arguments against collective bargaining and sometimes they engage in illegal unfair labor practices. A typical union organizing campaign begins with private meetings between employees and a professional union organizer outside of the workplace. Sometimes union organizers make first contact with employees.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers
Class+
$8 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Class+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
30 Verified Answers

Related Documents