Lec 3 Egyptian Hieroglyphic Writing 21 May
The Earliest Egyptian Writing:
• A tomb was dug in Abydos 3200BC
• Within it were objects with inscriptions
1. Pottery and clay tags
The tags all have around the same size, and all have a hole.
Are the tags writing?
The Characteristics of tags
• 40 tag types known
• order is variable (bird on the left side of the house, but a bird on the right seen in
the other one)
• 50 tag glyphs
• likely drawn multiple times on a grid, then painted black and drilled
• likely attached to grave goods
• some have numerals, most have 2 glyphs.
Later the symbols of the glyphs disappeared like common families could draw those
symbols on their pot simply because they look nice.
The tag is not writing. It hasn’t transfo