The Metropolis and Mental Life
Georg Simmel: One of the most significant classical works on the expected
effects of urban life on individual social psychology and definition of self.
The Key Question: how did the human personality adapt and change to
accommodate the new environment represented by the industrial city?
* Metropolitan type of individual: Individuality, rationality, lack of emotionalism,
specialization and compartmentalization 区分 .
* Reasons: Money economy, division of labour, size of the area and the
number of persons and so on.
* Demonstration methods: compare Metropolis with small town.
* The psychological basis of the metropolitan type of individuality consists in
the intensification of nervous stimulation.
* With each crossing the street, with the tempo and multiplicity of economic,
occupational and social life, the city sets up a deep contrast with small town
and rural life with reference to the sensory foundation of psychic life.
* So the urban emphasis on rationality and money to deal with stress and
* It is said that the relationship between rationalism and money