Premium

4 Pages

Department
Business
Course Code
73-100
Professor
Peter Miller

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
CHAPTER 5 Displaying and Describing Quantitative Data
1. Distribution – gives the possible values of a variable and the frequency or relative frequency
of each value
Histogram – plots the bin counts (number of cases that fall into each bin) as the heights of bars
(!! bar chart!)
- No gaps between bars (unless there are actual gaps in the data - important to note)
- Bin width is important to make data clear
- When value is between bins, put it in the higher bin (ex. for $0-$5 ($4.99) and $5-$10,
the $5 goes in 2nd bin)
- Imagine what the distribution might look like before making it – can spot errors easier
- Relative frequency histogram – faithful to the area principle by displaying percentage of
cases in each bin instead of the count
Stem-and-Leaf Displays – like histograms, but also give individual values
- Stem: base part of each number (ex. from $2.32, stem is 2)
- Leaf: next digit (rounded) in number (ex. from $2.32, leaf is 3)
- Add multiple leafs behind each stem
- Ex. 2 | 3 7 8 or 3 | 5
- Each digit should be same width (to satisfy the area principle)
- Great for quick pencil and paper diagrams
Quantitative Data Condition – the data are values of a quantitative variable whose units are
known
2. Shape of a distribution - describes in terms of its modes (single x multiple), symmetry
(symmetric x skewed) and whether it has any gaps or outlying values
- Mode – single, central bump (peak) or several, separated bumps
- Unimodal – histograms having one central bump (mode)
- Bimodal – histograms with two humps (modes) – indication of 2 group in the data
(should investigate further)
- Multimodal – histograms with more 3+ modes
- Uniform – distribution whose histogram doesn’t appear to have any mode, all bars are
approx. the same height
- Symmetry – if the halves on either side of the centre look (approx.) like mirror images
- Tails – usually thinner ends of the distribution
- Skewed tail – when one tails is stretched out farther than the other (skewed to side of
longer tail)
- Outliers – stragglers that stand off away from the body of the distribution
- Always be on the lookout for these abnormalities
- Can be very informative part of data, or an error
Uniform – a distribution that’s roughly flat
3. Centre – middle of a distribution (usually summarized numerically by the mean or median)
- Average of data – calculation to get precise middle:
- Mean of y - Add all values of the variable, y, and divide that sum (total) by the number of
data values, n (**only used for symmetric data) 𝑦=!"#$%!
!
=!!!
!

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CHAPTER 5 Displaying and Describing Quantitative Data 1. Distribution gives the possible values of a variable and the frequency or relative frequency of each value Histogram plots the bin counts (number of cases that fall into each bin) as the heights of bars (!! bar chart!) No gaps between bars (unless there are actual gaps in the data important to note) Bin width is important to make data clear When value is betwndn bins, put it in the higher bin (ex. for 05 (4.99) and 510, the 5 goes in 2 bin) Imagine what the distribution might look like before making it can spot errors easier Relative frequency histogram faithful to the area principle by displaying percentage of cases in each bin instead of the count StemandLeaf Displays like histograms, but also give individual values Stem: base part of each number (ex. from 2.32, stem is 2) Leaf: next digit (rounded) in number (ex. from 2.32, leaf is 3) Add multiple leafs behind each stem Ex. 2 3 7 8 or 3 5 Each digit should be same width (to satisfy the area principle) Great for quick pencil and paper diagrams Quantitative Data Condition the data are values of a quantitative variable whose units are known 2. Shape of a distribution describes in terms of its modes (single x multiple), symmetry (symmetric x skewed) and whether it has any gaps or outlying values Mode single, central bump (peak) or several, separated bumps Unimodal histograms having one central bump (mode) Bimodal histograms with two humps (modes) indication of 2 group in the data (should investigate further) Multimodal histograms with more 3+ modes Uniform distribution whose histogram doesnt appear to have any mode, all bars are approx. the same height Symmetry if the halves on either side of the centre look (approx.) like mirror images Tails usually thinner ends of the distribution Skewed tail when one tails is stretched out farther than the other (skewed to side of longer tail) Outliers stragglers that stand off away from the body of the distribution Always be on the lookout for these abnormalities Can be very informative part of data, or an error Uniform a distribution thats roughly flat 3. Centre middle of a distribution (usually summarized numerically by the mean or median) Average of data calculation to get precise middle: Mean of y Add all values of the variable, y, and divide that sum (total) by the number of data values, n (**only used for symmetric data) = =
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit