Premium

4 Pages

Department
Political Science
Course Code
45-160
Professor
Andrew Richter

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
World of Politics – Trend and Transformation (Kegley)
CHAPTER 1Exploring Twenty-First-century World Politics
The Investigative Challenge
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” – philosopher George
Santaya
“The farther backward you look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” – Winston Churchill
Global political system – the properties that describe the charismatic ways in which actors most
often behave in the global arena of any historical period
Every historic period is marked by change –today the pace seems more rapid and its
consequences more profound
- Possibly a revolutionary restructuring of world politics
- Countries drawing closer together – globalization is changing the way the world
works
- Disintegration of trends – restructuring the way the world operates
- Proliferation of conventional and unconventional weapons
- Global and environmental deterioration
- Resurgence of nationalism and ethnic conflict
- Nationalism – a mind-set of glorifying a particular state and the
nationality group living in it, which sees the state’s interests as a
supreme value
Major transformations in world politics – after wars, in 20th c.: after WW1, WW2, Cold War
- We often expect the future to automatically bring changes and later are surprised to discover
that certain patterns from the past have reappeared.
Given the rapid changes that are occurring alongside enduring continuities ! it is dangerous to
make firm predictions about the global future, and it is risky to assume or assert that a major
transformation in the world politics is under way.
Criteria to determine when an existing pattern of relationships becomes a completely new global
system (Stanley Hoffman – 1961):
1. What are the system’s basic units?
(ex. States or supranational institutions for global governance)
2. What are the predominant foreign policy goals that these units seek with respect to one
another?
(ex. territorial conquest or material gain through trade)
3. What can these units do to one another with their military and economic capabilities?
! we assume we have a new international system when we have an answer to one of
the questions
Global system – the predominant patterns of behaviours and beliefs that prevail internationally
to define the major worldwide conditions that heavily influence human and national activities
- primarily composed of states

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
World of Politics Trend and Transformation (Kegley) CHAPTER 1 Exploring TwentyFirstcentury World Politics The Investigative Challenge Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. philosopher George Santaya The farther backward you look, the farther forward you are likely to see. Winston Churchill Global political system the properties that describe the charismatic ways in which actors most often behave in the global arena of any historical period Every historic period is marked by change today the pace seems more rapid and its consequences more profound Possibly a revolutionary restructuring of world politics Countries drawing closer together globalization is changing the way the world works Disintegration of trends restructuring the way the world operates Proliferation of conventional and unconventional weapons Global and environmental deterioration Resurgence of nationalism and ethnic conflict Nationalism a mindset of glorifying a particular state and the nationality group living in it, which sees the states interests as a supreme value th Major transformations in world politics after wars, in 20 c.: after WW1, WW2, Cold War We often expect the future to automatically bring changes and later are surprised to discover that certain patterns from the past have reappeared. Given the rapid changes that are occurring alongside enduring continuities it is dangerous to make firm predictions about the global future, and it is risky to assume or assert that a major transformation in the world politics is under way. Criteria to determine when an existing pattern of relationships becomes a completely new global system (Stanley Hoffman 1961): 1. What are the systems basic units? (ex. States or supranational institutions for global governance) 2. What are the predominant foreign policy goals that these units seek with respect to one another? (ex. territorial conquest or material gain through trade) 3. What can these units do to one another with their military and economic capabilities? we assume we have a new international system when we have an answer to one of the questions Global system the predominant patterns of behaviours and beliefs that prevail internationally to define the major worldwide conditions that heavily influence human and national activities primarily composed of states
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit