November 5 - Spinal Nerves & Brachial Plexus.docx

4 Pages

Department
Anatomy and Cell Biology
Course Code
Anatomy and Cell Biology 3319
Professor
guestlecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
November 5, 2013 Spinal Nerves & Brachial Plexus Pg. 439-449 Spinal Nerves - 31 pairs of spinal nerves each containing thousands of nerve fibers - 8 pairs of cervical nerves - Only 7 cervical vertebrae - C1 nerve lies superior to the first vertebrae, whereas C8 nerve lies inferior to the seventh vertebrae - 12 pairs of thoracic nerves - 5 pairs of lumbar nerves - 5 pairs of sacral nerves - 1 pair of coccygeal nerves - Below the cervical region, all nerves lie inferior to the vertebrae it correlates with - Each spinal nerve connects to the spinal cord by a dorsal root and a ventral root - Each root forms a series of rootlets that attach along the whole length of the corresponding spinal cord segment - Dorsal root contains axonal processes of sensory neurons from cell bodies in dorsal root ganglion - Ventral root contains axonal processes of motor neurons from cell bodies in ventral gray column of spinal cord - Each spinal nerve branches into a dorsal ramus and ventral ramus - Connecting to base of ventral ramus are rami communicantes leading to sympathetic trunk ganglia – visceral structures - Each branch of spinal nerve contains both motor and sensory fibers - Rami supply entire somatic region of body, the outer tube (skeletal musculature and skin), from the neck inferiorly - Dorsal rami supply dorsum of neck and back - Ventral rami (much thicker) supply a large area: anterior and lateral regions of neck and trunk, and all regions of limbs - Difference between roots and rami: - Roots lie medial to spinal nerves and are either strictly sensory (dorsal root) or strictly motor (ventral root) - Rami are lateral branches of spinal nerves, and each contains both sensory and motor fibers - Innervation of the back: - Posterior part of the trunk and neck - Innervation by dorsal rami follows a neat, segmented pattern - Each dorsal ramus branches to innervate a horizontal strip of muscle and skin in line with its emergence point from the vertebral column - Innervation of the anterior thoracic and abdominal wall - Only in the thorax are the ventral rami arranged in a simple and segmented pattern - Thoracic ventral rami run anteriorly, one deep to each rib, as the intercostal nerves - These nerves supply the intercostal muscles, the skin of the anterior and lateral thorax, and most of the abdominal wall inferior to the rib cage - Each intercostal nerve gives off lateral and anterior cutaneous branches Introduction to Nerve Plexuses - Nerve plexus: network of nerves - Ventral rami of all spinal nerves except T2-T12 branch and join one another lateral to the vertebral column, forming nerve plexuses - These interlacing networks occur in the cervical, brachial, lumbar and sacral regions and primarily
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit