Sink or Swim
• Ancient Greeks and Romans knew of the disease "Hydrophobia", which is
caused by a painful spasm of the larynx when one suffering from this disease
attempts to drink
• Celsus (Roman Physician) wrote about it and said the cure was to throw those
infected into water and said it was caused by being bitten by a rapid dog. He
called it "rabies" (madness) in his writing
Phi Beta Kappa
• The Phi Beta Kappa society was founded in order to give a recognition to
students in American Colleges who achieved academic distinction
• Members were given a key bearing initials for Philosophia Biou Kybernetes
meaning "Philosophy for the Guide of Life"
◦ Kybernetes meant "helmsmen of a ship" and is related to L. gubernator.
From this L. word, we get E. gubernatorial and through F., governor
◦ From Kybernetes, we also get cybernetics - "the science of automatic
control systems" and cyberspace
• Philosophia meant not only the love of knowledge, but also the study and
systemic treatment of any subject.
• Earliest Greek philosophers were concerned with physical science. It was
Socrates that started studying the soul of a human and is known as the father of
• From Socrates, the sophists appeared in Greece, we g