Psychology 2020A/B Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Nicotine Patch, Digoxin, Suppository
23 views4 pages
For unlimited access to Textbook Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
Chapter 3: How drugs work in the body and on the mind.
Drug administration and absorption
- Oldest and easiest way of taking drugs
- Safest method of drug admin
- Begins after 5 mins after ingestion, but full ingestion is complete 6 – 8 hours.
- Weakly acidic drugs are absorbed faster
- If drugs are lipid soluble
- When consumed orally, you usually have to take higher doses.
- Directly into the bloodstream
- READ the 3 types of injection from textbook (Pg 62-63)!!
- If injected into a muscle = high absorption
- Can be vapour or smoked
- Is the fastest method of drug admin
- Second easiest way of taking a drug
- Reaches the brain faster than any other way, 5-8 seconds
- Can cause lung damage
- When the drug passes through membranes outside of the body
- Eg: nicotine patch, birth control patchs
- Whne ppl snort cocaine it sticks to the mucus and goes through the nasal membrane
- Rectal suppository – absorped from the anus.
- Oral is the slowest method of drug admin
- Second slowest – absorption
- Third slowest – injection, the most dangerous b/c ppl can inject high doses at a time.
- Fastest – inhalation