Psychology
Course
Psychology 1000
Professor
Mark Holden
Semester
Fall

Description
Chapter 7: Learning and Adaptation: The Role of Experience • Learning: o Learning is the process of experience producing relatively enduring changes in behaviour or capabilities  Learning = ‘knowing how’ • Performance is different  ‘doing’ something • i.e. test anxiety  Unfortunately, we often must use performance to measure learning • i.e. test anxiety  Learning is like adaptation but within a lifetime (as opposed to evolution across generations) • Learning according to Behaviourism o Behaviourism:  Psychology should only focus on observable behaviour of the organism • Focus on performance  Assumed that the organism was a ‘tabula rasa’ (blank slate) • J.B. Watson’s famous claim • Little Albert  Focused on how experiences influence behaviour • Assumed there are Universal Laws of Learning • i.e. all species will increase a rewarded behaviour, decrease a punished behaviour • did a lot of work with animals, in controlled lab settings  Identified many of the major principles of learning • Classical conditioning • Operant Conditioning  But, cognitive and biological factors also play a role in learning… • i.e. cultural impact • Sensory Adaptation o Gradual decline in sensitivity to a stimulus over prolonged stimulation  i.e. swimming pool, smell of perfume  is the result of sensory neurons firing less and less • can’t force yourself to feel cold in the water again • Habituation o Decrease in the strength of response to a repeated stimulus  i.e. ticking clock, feel of clothing  is the result of simple learning processes in the CNS (Not the sensory neurons in the PNS) • kind of like selective attention  helps focus on important • Habituation happens in spinal cord or brain  Allows organisms to attend to other stimuli that are more important • Sensitization o Increase in the strength of a response to a repeated stimulus  i.e. electric shock, ‘mmm-kay’  basically the opposite of habituation • generally helps us avoid potentially dangerous stimuli Classical Conditioning • Classical Conditioning: o Association between two stimuli, such that one comes to produce a response that was initially produced only by the other stimulus  Response: behaviour, mood, physiological response • Significant other’s favourite sweater • Some cases of insomnia • Drug overdose • Smokey, the piano teaching bat  One of the most basic forms of learning • Mammals, birds, etc.  Sometimes called Pavlovian Conditioning • Pavlov’s Research o Physiologist studying digestion in dogs  Interested in saliva and stomach responses to food  But the dogs started to digest before they even got the food o Began new line of research:  Baseline measures • Ring a bell  no salivation • Food  salivation  Learning (Acquisition) phase • Ring a bell + food (a bunch of times)  Testing • Ring a bell  salivate??? • In classic studies, the dog learned to salivate in response to a sound • Neutral stimulus  does not elicit the salivation response • Unconditioned Stimulus (UCS) o The thing that produces the unconditioned response o ‘non-learned’ stimulus • Unconditioned Response (UCR) o Reflexive, innate response to something o ‘non learned’ response  i.e. salivating in response to food • Conditioned Stimulus (CS) o The thing that produces the conditioned response o ‘Learned’ stimulus  We ‘learn’ that it’s worth paying attention to • Conditioned Response o ‘learned’ response  i.e. salivating in response to bell • Acquisition (Conditioning) o Refers to period during which a response is being learned  i.e. the tone + food  Learning trials  each pairing of the CS with UCS o The CS only produces the CR after ‘acquisition’ o Classical conditioning usually strongest when there are repeated CS-UCS pairings with a more intense UCS Extinction and Spontaneous Recovery • Extinction: o After a while of presenting the tone without food, the dog will learn that it is meaningless  response will gradually weaken  eventually stop salivating o Extinction trial:  Every time we present the CS without the UCS • Spontaneous Recovery: o Even after extinction, the conditioned response can suddenly reappear without any new training  Typically happens after a ‘break’ period  Typically weaker response than before, and extinction of the recovered response is faster • Second spontaneous recovery is even smaller, faster to extinguish  Example: • Piano lessons  teaching  recovery  This is why people being treated for phobias need to keep going for sessions now and again, even after being cured Generalization and Discrimination • Imagine we train a dog with a tuning fork at ‘C’ o What will happen if we test the dog with a different tuning fork, also at ‘C’? o What if it was at ‘B’ or ‘D’ or even ‘A’ or ‘E’? • Stimulus Generalization: o ‘generalizing’ the response to something new o A tone that is similar to the original CS will still produce the same CR  Usually the response is weaker and weaker, depending on how big the difference is o Important to be able to generalize appropriate responses, even if the CS isn’t 100% identical o i.e. animal that is attacked after sounds of rustling bushes will know next time to generalize the sound to the earlier attacks • Discrimination: o Discriminating (i.e. being able to tell the difference) between two stimuli/things o A tone that is not very similar to the original CS will not produce the CR o Also equally important to learn when not to respond  Don’t need to jump in the bushes at every sound o Can learn to discriminate things that were originally generalized  i.e. dog bit woman, scared of dogs, many years later, dog most dissimilar to dog that bit her and the woman was fine with the dog Types of Classical Conditioning • Forward, Short-delay: o CS comes on a few seconds before UCS, and continues throughout the duration of the UCS  Despite the term, there is no break between the two  i.e. tone  dinner music, piano lessons o Learning occurs most quickly with this type of conditioning • Forward, Trace pairing o CS comes on AND turns off before the UCS starts  Memory ‘trace’ of the CS, but nothing else  i.e. Farm dog and lightning • Simultaneous pairing: o CS comes on AND turns off at the exact same times as the UCS does o Slower learning • Backward Pairing: o CS comes after the UCS  Can be a ‘short delay’ or ‘trace’ like forward pairing…  Little or no learning at all Higher Order Conditioning • Higher-Order Conditioning o Can link multiple conditioned stimuli  First, associate one CS with the UCS • i.e. tone with food  Next, associate a different CS with the first CS • i.e. associate a black square with the tone • we call the tone CS1 and the square CS2 o Eventually, the square will produce a conditioned response (salivation), even though it was never directly paired with food!  Usually the highest-order CR is the weaker, extinguishes faster Learning in Classical Conditioning • How do we learn fastest or best? • Forward Conditioning is the best o Simultaneous conditioning is OK (slower, weaker) o Backward conditioning is terrible (often no learning) • Learning is faster when the UCS is really strong o give the dog lots of food  faster learning o Pair illness or shock with something  1 trial learning  Taste aversion, fear conditioning are really fast Conditioned Aversion • Conditioned Aversion o Quinine to treat alcoholism o Goal is to create a negative association with the sight, smell, and taste of alcohol o Aversion Therapy o Results are actually very good  Especially if people have ‘booster’ sessions Fear Conditioning • Fear conditioning o Fear response can also be learned through classical conditioning  CS comes to elicit physiological indicators of fear • Heart rate, blood pressure, emotion, muscle tension  The CS actually activates the amygdala! • Amygdala is involved with fear, aggression  Fear conditioning often requires only one trial learning (if the UCS is strong enough) o i.e. Little Albert and the White rats, also scared of furry objects like rabbits and even Santa Claus • Humans an mammals become afraid of neural stimuli that are paired with electric shock • Behavioural treatments partly based on classical conditioning are most effective psychotherapies for phobias  they can be unlearned • Often can be adaptive o i.e. learn to avoid angry, growing dogs  Good that you only have to learn the association once • Sometimes can be maladaptive o Phobias  i.e. Little Albert  hospitalized and feared anything fuzzy and white o Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)  Exposure to an extremely traumatic event often leaves the person with flashbacks, other symptoms of extremely high levels of fear • Flashbacks typically happen when the person is exposed to something similar o i.e. car backfiring sounds a lot like gunfire • fMRI scans of the PTSD patients o Increase in amygdala activity  Especially on the right side o Decrease in frontal lobe activity  Makes it hard to ‘talk yourself down’ o Classical conditioning doesn’t just cause fears  it can treat them!  Key principle: If a fear can be learned, it can be unlearned • Exposure Therapy o Method is basically to expose people to the CS in a safe environment  Exposing the patient to the CS without the UCS is essentially an extinction trial • So the fear response will become extinguished!  J.B. Watson’s plan was to expose Little Albert to the rat without the bar a bunch of times o Systematic Desensitization  Type of exposure therapy in which patients learn relaxation techniques, and gradually works up to the object of their phobia • Learn to relax at one level, move on to the next • i.e. More and close to the subject  New variation on the idea uses virtual reality o Flooding  Type of exposure therapy in which patients are immediately and often drastically exposed to the object of their phobia o Both types of exposure therapy are extremely effective  Seems to support the idea that fears are learned Conditioned Emotion • Receiving a letter (email) from a friend o Might feel happy even before we open it  Showing the handwriting to a baby  no response  So, feeling of happiness must be a conditioned response • Anxiety in writing exams o Most of Mark’s undergrad exams were written in the same gymnasium  Some people would associate the location with ‘feeling dumb’  high test anxiety • Some ads may evoke warm, fuzzy feelings • Others are meant to heighten arousal • Either way, they are trying to capitalize on people’s unconscious ability to form associations o In the first instance, often higher-order conditioning o This is (partly) why they play the same ads, over and over and over  repeated pairing to help form and strengthen the associations o Either between CS1 and CS2 or between CS and UCS • i.e. Rob’s girlfriend used to wear perfume when she was feeling ‘particularly good’ o to this day, Rob is wildly attracted to women wearing that perfume Bell-and –Pad Method • extremely effective method of treating bed-wetting o More effective than prescribed medication! o ‘Pad’ underneath them is very sensitive to moisture  One drop  sounds bell (UCS)  wakes child, causes tightening of key muscles (UCR)  Full bladder (CS) o Eventually, the CS (full bladder) elicits the CR (tightening of the muscles involved) Operant Conditioning • Edward Thordike’s Law of Effect o Placed cats in ‘puzzle boxes’  Needed to perform some series of actions to get out • i.e. press lever, lift bar, step on platform leave  At first, cats would only get out by chance  After multiple sessions, though, they got faster and faster at getting out (with fewer and fewer mistakes) o Improvement in performance was gradual  only trial and error learning  Instrumental learning because the organism’s behaviour is instrumental in bringing certain outcomes o Law of Effect:  In a given situation, a response followed by a ‘satisfying’ outcome will become more likely to occur  Response that is followed by an ‘unsatisfying’ outcome will become less likely to occur • B.F. Skinner o Expanded on the work by Thordike  Still very much in line with instrumental learning and the Law of Effect o Coined the term ‘Operant Conditioning’  Learning in which the likelihood of behaviours are influenced by their consequences • Again, favorable consequences  repeat behaviour • Unfavorable consequences  don’t repeat behaviour o Said learning was like natural selection for behaviour  Beneficial behaviour ‘survives’ and increases in frequency  Harmful behaviour gets weeded out by selection o Skinner Box  Lever for rats to press  Automated dispenser  food pellet when rat presses lever  Cumulated Recorder • Shows number/timing of lever presses o This was before widely available computers ABCs of Operant Conditioning • Learning is as simple as ‘ABC’ o Antecedent  Stimuli present before behaviour (context, setting) o Behaviour o Consequence  Reinforcement  something that increases behaviour  Punishment  something that decreases behaviour o If A is present (If I say sit) o And B emitted (and dog sits) o Then C will follow (then treat) o These are all contingencies  consequence of receiving food is contingent on her response of sitting Classical vs. Operant Conditioning • Classical Conditioning o Associating two stimuli (CS and UCS)  Essentially the CS predicts the UCS o Association happens before the behaviour occurs o Focus on elicited behaviour (involuntary, reflexive)  Dogs can’t control whether they salivate or not • Operant Conditioning o Associating behaviours with consequences  Essentially the behaviour causes the consequence o Association happens after the behaviour occurs o Focus on emitted behaviour  Rat can control whether it presses the lever or not • Some situations involve both classical and operant conditioning o i.e. Feedback on microphone o People may start to cringe/wince as I approach the whiteboard (classical conditioning) o May also start to cover their ears (operant conditioning) Antecedent • Stimuli present before behaviour (context, setting) o i.e. rat presses lever in white box  food o BUT rat presses lever in black box  electric shock • Discriminative Stimulus o Antecedent stimulus that signals certain consequences if a response is made o Wall colour, lighting for the rat example o Toilet flush  D.S. to step out of shower (it gets super hot) o Bell in school  D.S. to go home (or get to class) o Me going ‘ahem’ to start class  D.S. to quiet down • Consequences: o Reinforcement  behaviour is more likely  Positive vs. negative reinforcement  Positive = something is being added to the scene  Negative = something is being taken away o Punishment  less likely  Positive vs. negative punishment • Positive = something is being added to the scene, spanking etc. • Negative = something is being taken away (response cost), removal of a stimulus • • Behavior increases • Behavior decreases • Adding • Positive • Positive Punishment Something Reinforcement • Taking Something • Negative • Negative Punishment Reinforcement • Away o Parent taking Tylenol is a negative reinforcement  takes away headache Operant Extinction • Much like extinction in classical conditioning o In classical conditioning, the CS is no longer paired with the UCS  unlearn the association o In operant conditioning, the consequence is no longer paired with the respon
More Less

Related notes for Psychology 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit