Chapter 3: Biological Foundations of Behaviour

6 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
Psychology 1000
Professor
Shauna Burke

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade. are saying about us

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 3: Biological Foundations of Behaviour 1 Neurons • neuron: nerve cells that constitute the basic building blocks of the nervous system - supported by glial cells - > manufacture protein, absorb toxins/waste - myelin sheath - > protective covering 1) cell body: contains biochemical structures & nucleus carries genetic info 2) dendrites: small branching fibres that extend from soma of neuron & receives messages from adjacent neurons 3) axon: extension from one side of neuron cell body that conducts nerve impulses to other neurons, muscles or glands - blood brain barrier: specialized lining of cells in brain’s blood vessels that screen out foreign substances while letting nutrients pass through to neurons ElectricalActivity: 1) At rest, neuron has electrical resting potential due to distribution of (+) & (-) charged ions inside/outside neuron. • When stimulated, flow of ions in/out through cell membrane reverses electrical charge of resting potential, producing action potential (nerve impulse). 2) Original distribution of ions=restored, neuron at rest. • resting potential: internal difference of approx. 70 millivolts Action Potential: • action potential: sudden reversal in neuron’s membrane voltage (-70 - > +40) • depolarization: shift from (-) to (+) voltage • absolute refractory period: recovery when cell membrane is not excitable & cannot generate another action potential resting - > action potential: 1) Na+ channels open & Na+ ions flood into axon 2) Na+ channels close, K- channels open, allows K- ions to exit, restores resting potential • all-or-none law: action potentials occur at uniform/max. capacity or don’t occur at all Chapter 3: Biological Foundations of Behaviour 2 • action potential threshold: intensity of stimulation (excitatory - inhibitory) needed to produce action potential graded potentials:change in electrical potential of neuron that’s proportional to intensity of • incoming stimulation, not sufficient to produce action potential • myelin sheath: fatty insulating substance on axon of some neurons that increases speed of neural transmission Synaptic Transmission: • synapse: microscopic space b/w neurons where nerve impulse is biochemically transmitted • synaptic cleft: tiny gap b/w axon terminal of one neuron & dendrite of next neuron Neurotransmitters: • neurotransmitter: chemical substances released from axons of one neuron, travel across synaptic space, bind to specially keyed receptors in another neuron, where they produce a chemical reaction (either excitatory or inhibitory) • synaptic vesicles: chambers within axon that contain neurotransmitter substance • receptor sites: protein molecules on neurons’dendrites or soma, specially shaped to accommodate specific neurotransmitter molecule Excitation, Inhibition & Deactivation: 1) Excitation: depolarize polysnaptic cell membrane, stimulating inflow of Na+ & other (+) ions, fire action potential 2) Inhibition: hyperpolarize polysnaptic cell membrane, stimulating outflow of K ions & other (-) ions 3) Deactivation: neurotransmitter molecule binds to receptor, continues to activate or inhibit neuron until it is deactivated • reuptake: transmitter molecules are reabsorbed into presynaptic axon terminal Specialized Transmitter Systems: Chapter 3: Biological Foundations of Behaviour 3 Neurotransmitter Major Function Disorders glutamic acid - excitatory - learning, memory GABA - inhibitory - Huntington's disease - anxiety, motor control acetylcholine (ACh) - excitatory -Alzheimer’s disease - muscle movement, memory norepinephrine - excitatory/inhibitory - depression - learning, memory, - stress/panic disorders wakefulness, eating serotonin - inhibitory - depression, sleeping - mood, sleeping, eating, - eating disorders arousal, pleasure, pain dopamine - excitatory/inhibitory - Parkinson’s disease - voluntary movement, - schizophrenia emotional arousal, learning, motivation, pleasure endorphin - pain -insensitivity to pain - pain hypersensitivity, immune problems Peripheral Nervous System: • Somatic NS - sensory neurons: transmit messages from eyes, ears, other sensory receptors - motor neurons: send messages from brain, spinal cord to muscles •Autonomic NS - controls glands & smooth muscles - respiration, circulation, digestion - emotions, stress 1) Sympathetic NS: activation/arousal, fight-or
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit