Psychology
Course
Psychology 1000
Professor
Derek Quinlan
Semester
Fall

Description
Monday, October 17 th – Evolutionary Psychology: how behavior and tendencies have evolved in response to environmental demands ○ Personality traits in humans have survived because they help us achieve our overriding goals  Physical survival  Reproduction – Natural Selection ○ Darwin ○ Characteristics more likely to be preserved if they increase:  Likelihood of survival  Ability to reproduce ○ Some survive and reproduce more successfully than others in the current environment – How NOT to Think About Evolution ○ Genetic determinism  Your genes have unavoidable effects  Ex: both your parents are alcoholics  Do you feel? • A. You will be an alcoholic  genetic determinism says you will be • B. No way you will become an alcoholic ○ Social Darwinism  High society is the “most fit”  Fittest can suppress the less fit  “Survival of the fittest” – Movie: Chimps/Bonobos ○ Chimps  Feed in trees  Mothers and young are independent from the group  Sex is often and hurried  Males are sexually dominant ○ Bonobos  Feed on ground  Mothers and young travel together  Sex is pleasurable  Females band together to fight off unwanted sex – Survival & Reproduction Evolution and Behavior ○ Always keep in mind—survival and survival of the next generation (reproduction) ○ How do we accomplish this? 1.Mating preferences 2.Parental investment 3.Altruism 1. Kin selection 2. Reciprocal altruism 4.Aggression – (1) Mating ○ Clark & Hatfield (1989)—Attractive males and females approach strangers of the opposite sex, and ask one of the following three questions:  Would you go out on a date with me tonight? • 50% of males and females agreed to go out on a date  Would you come over to my apartment? • 6% females vs. 69% men agreed to the apartment visit  Would you go to bed with me tonight? • 0% females vs. 75% men agree to sex ○ Mating Systems  Polygyny • Females competed for • Males compete and mate many females • Females: high parental investment • Males: low parental investment  Polyandry • Males competed for • Opposite pattern to polygyny (rare)  Polygamy • Refers to both polygyny and polyandry  Monogamy • Females and males both have hig
More Less

Related notes for Psychology 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit