Psychology 1000 (1,558)
Chapter 1

Psychology Chapter 1 Notes (Autosaved).docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Western University
Psychology 1000
Erica Lawson

September 11, 2012 Psychology Lecture 1 Notes The Nature of Psychology  E.G. Boring once observed that psychology has a long past, but a short history. The long past indicates that psychology has roots extending back to the ancient Greek philosophers. But the study of psychology as a distinct discipline only began in 1879 when Wundt (pronounced “vunt”) established the first psychological laboratory in Leipzig, Germany  Psychology is the scientific study of behaviour and the mind  The term behaviour refers to actions and responses that we can directly observe  The term mind refers to internal states and processes o i.e. thoughts & feelings that cannot be seen directly and that must be inferred from observable & measurable responses o ex. love or admiration for someone else  Clinical Psychology - The study and treatment of mental disorders  Cognitive Psychology - The study of mental processes, especially from a model that views the mind as an information processor  Biopsychology - A subfield of psychology that focuses on the biological underpinnings of behaviour. Biopsychologists examine how brain processes, genes, and hormones influence our actions, thoughts, and feelings September 11, 2012  Developmental Psychology - Examines changes in our biological, physical, psychological, and behavioural processes as we age social development across the lifespan (i.e. how our brains develop)  Experimental Psychology - Focuses on such basic processes as learning, sensory systems (e.g., vision, hearing), perception, and motivational states (e.g., sexual motivation, hunger, thirst)  Industrial-organizational (I/O) Psychology - Examines people's behaviour in the workplace. I/O psychologists study leadership, teamwork, and factors that influence employees' job satisfaction, work motivation, and performance  Personality Psychology - Focuses on the study of human personality. Personality psychologists seek to identify core personality traits and how different traits relate to one another and influence behaviour  Social Psychology - Examines peoples thoughts, feelings, and behaviour pertaining to the social world: the world of other people. Social psychologists study how people influence one another, behave in groups, and form impressions and attitudes  Empirical evidence - Evidence gained through experience and observation  In science these observations need to be systematic (i.e. pe
More Less

Related notes for Psychology 1000

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.