Sociology 2140 Chapter Notes - Chapter 12: Numeracy, Canadian Indian Residential School System, Massive Open Online Course

61 views6 pages

Document Summary

Education the social institution responsible for transmitting knowledge, skills and cultural values in a formally organized structure/system. Functionalists: schools should promote good citizenship and upward mobility, problems in in education are related to social disorganization, rapid social change and the organizational structure of schools. Conflict: schools perpetuate inequality and that problems and education are the result of biased based on racialization, class, and gender. Symbolic interactionists: fo(cid:272)us o(cid:374) mi(cid:272)role(cid:448)el pro(cid:271)le(cid:373)s i(cid:374) s(cid:272)hools i. e. ho(cid:449) (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:373)u(cid:374)i(cid:272)atio(cid:374) a(cid:374)d tea(cid:272)hers" e(cid:454)pe(cid:272)tatio(cid:374)s affe(cid:272)t students level of achievement and dropout rates. Feminist: focusing on the differences of male and female performance in, and responses to, the educational system. Say education is one of the most important social institutions: contributes to the smooth functioning of society, provides opportunities for personal fulfillment and upward social mobility. Problems can be traced back to the failure of educational institutions. Manifest functions open, stated, and intended goals or consequences of activities within an organization or institution.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers