GS231- Tutorial Nov 14, 2012
- How does the mythic narrative create emotion?
o Ex Remembrance Day
o Desire to stop war(the poppy symbolic)
o Now represents supporting the troops
o Are the troops heroes or victims?
o The meaning of Remembrance Day changes based on how the country stands in terms of supporting
war/ how is the meaning of the day used?
- Canadian civilians are unable to accept the darkness of war allowing it to happen repeatedly
- War divides people (those who support and those who don’t)
- Everything becomes a matter of opinion
o Objectivity of the truth (ex. Number of deaths in a genocide)
- Culture destroyed by war
o Creates a never ending cycle of war
o Can be broken through media
Ex. War of 1812 campaign/ commercials
o Find the meaning of war
Have a history that reflects the truths
o Humanize the enemy (and interactions)
o Power for those who have influence (leaders)
o Remove the fear between groups
Revenge between groups (recognize the past)
- Fix the wrongs that have been done
o Injustices, etc
- How does war/ violence destroy culture?
o The culture of us and the other is destroyed to represent differences between and bring people
- National symbols drive the myth
o How in Canada?