GS 201- tutorial October 19.docx

2 Pages

Department
Global Studies
Course Code
GS201
Professor
Guest Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
GS 201
Tutorial questions for October 19, 2012
Kymlicka describes the issues of allowing minority groups access to special rights as a problem of
numbers and variety of peoples entering into various liberal countries. By allowing one group special rights
more groups will come forward demanding the same rights, where is the line drawn. What groups deserve the
rights and what if their beliefs go against a liberal society? The situation has too much potential for issues so
Kymlicka decides that minority groups should not receive special rights.
Negative liberty is the liberty from oppression of others. If a culture believes not all people are equal to
one another the cultural beliefs impose on a person’s negative liberties, and they don’t represent a liberal
society. If the culture does not represent one of a liberal society it will conflict with the liberal values and
undermine the society. All people in a liberal society are equal including women and children, some cultures
don’t believe this and would be unable to fully accept the changes they would need to make in order to
integrate into a liberal society.
The Quiet Revolution in Quebec provided the shift from church dominated to state controlled
infrastructures. This allowed a shift in what the public deemed as the good life, it became less about being well
connected to God and getting into heaven and more about being successful within society as a business person
or in a profession. This secularization of society allowed for a more equal viewing of the people also in the
sense of a liberal society and not based on their beliefs.
Ethnic groups are ones that have a homeland, a language and a culture that they can all connect to but
when in another area of the world they are unable to recreate this from within. Toronto is able to have constant

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
GS 201 Tutorial questions for October 19, 2012 Kymlicka describes the issues of allowing minority groups access to special rights as a problem of numbers and variety of peoples entering into various liberal countries. By allowing one group special rights more groups will come forward demanding the same rights, where is the line drawn. What groups deserve the rights and what if their beliefs go against a liberal society? The situation has too much potential for issues so Kymlicka decides that minority groups should not receive special rights. Negative liberty is the liberty from oppression of others. If a culture believes not all people are equal to one another the cultural beliefs impose on a person’s negative liberties, and they don’t represent a liberal society. If the culture does not represent one of a liberal society it will conflict with the liberal values and undermine the society. All people in a liberal society are equal including women and children, some cultures don’t believe this and would be unable to fully accept the changes they would need to make in order to integrate into a liberal society. The Quiet Revolution in Quebec provided the shift from church dominated to state controlled infrastructures. This allowed a shift in what the public deemed as the good life, it became less about being well connected to God and getting into heaven and more about being successful within society as a business person or in a profession. This secularization of society allowed for a more equal viewing of the people also in the sense of a liberal society and not based on their beliefs. Ethnic groups are ones that have a homeland, a language and a culture that they can all connect to but when in another area of the world they are unable to recreate this from within. Toronto is able to have constant cultural centers because of the constant flow of peoples from their motherland, the
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit