Chapter

GS221 Tutorial Response Week 7.docx

Department
Global Studies
Course Code
GS221
Professor
Edmund Pries

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
GS221-T2 Tutorial Week 7 Response
Van Hooft Chapter 2
Ashley Stratton 110110900
In this chapter Van Hooft focuses on what human rights are, who should have
them and how they are justified. In this chapter human rights are rights that are given to
humans from each other to ensure respect and dignity. The Declaration of Human Rights
is an example of human rights as a policy.
Many countries aren’t about to provide their citizens with basic human rights
because of their poverty level. In hopes of changing this wealthy, more developed
countries often provide aid to poorer countries. This however creates an interesting
relationship. The donor country often feels like they are doing the receiving country owes
them something in return for this favour. This can be avoided though if the aid is seen as
a right for the receiving country rather than a favour. If it is provided as a right it
becomes the donor country’s duty to provide the aid, this eliminates the relationship of
mutual expectations between the donor and receiving countries.
I found this point especially interesting, I have never differentiated aid as a human
right that needs to be provided from aid that isn’t deemed a necessity. I had always
lumped aid as always being needed in poorer countries until they are able to ensure safety
and basic human needs to the entire population. I understand that corruption changes the
path of the donated funds but I don’t think it is fair to expect favours in return from a
country that can’t properly govern,, but I also don’t think it is far to take the much needed
funding from the citizens of the receiving country. Giving foreign aid is even more
complicated than I had already thought.
But on the other hand I understand why expectations would develop if the donor
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version