Drugs and Behaviour - Chapter 10

6 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PS268
Professor
Bruce Mc Kay

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Drugs and Behaviour – Chapter 10  Tobacco history o Aboriginal people were first to use tobacco o People in san Salvador presented Columbus with tobacco leave as a birthday present o Either took (used snuff) or drank (smoked) tobacco o Where the word tobacco comes from  Two-pronged tube used by aboriginals to take snuff  Developed from province of tobaccos in Mexico o When member from Columbus’ party returned back to Europe, people convinced he was possessed because of smoke coming from mouth and nose o Early medical uses  Introduced as herb that treated almost everything  Persisten headaches  Cold or catarrh  Abcesses and sore on head  14 books mentioned medicinal value of tobacco  Jean Nicot used it to “cure” migraines  1565 – plant called nicotiane  Called active ingredient nicotine  Tobacco should be avoided by (among others) women with child and husbands who desired children o The spread of tobacco use  Two major species  Nicotiana tobacum o Large leaf species grown in more than a hundred countries  Nicotiana rustica o Small leaf species existed in West Indies and eastern NA  Spanish had monopoly on tobacco sales to Europe  1612, tobacum species grew well in Virginia  1619 – cultivation of tobacco prohibited in England  One of the major exports of American colonies to England  1800 – tobacco commercially grown in Canada  Imperial Tobacco Canada Limited  Rothmans, benson and Hedges incorporated  JTI-Macdonald corporation  Most of the tobacco grown in Ontario grown near Delhi and Tillsonburg o Snuff th  18 century  Smoking gradually diminished  Snuff replaced pipe in England o Chewing tobacco  Chewing suitable activity for country on the go  Freed up hands and can spit anywhere  1860 – only 7/348 companies made smoking tobacco  Start of 20 century was approximate high point for chewing tobacco  Sales slowly declined throughout early part of that country  Chewing tobacco remained big part of MLB over years o Cigars  Cigarette smoking becoming popular and cigar manufacturers did best to keep it under control  Suggested cigarettes drugged with opium and paper bleached with arsenic and was harmful  Cigar sales reached highest level in 1920 1 Drugs and Behaviour – Chapter 10  Lower cost and changing styles led to emergence of cigarettes as leading form of tobacco use o Cigarettes  First British cigarette factor started in 1856  Late 1850s – Philip Morris produced handmade cigarettes  1881 – first cigarette-making machine  1885 – more than 1 billion cigarettes sold yearly  Camels (1913) – contained hint of Turkish tobacco  Filter cigarettes (1954) took over market  Tobacco under attack o King James of England published strong anti-tobacco pamphlet stating that tobacco was harmful to brain, dangerous to lungs  Still supported tobacco growing o NYC (1908) illegal for women to smoke in public o Roaring 20s, women expelled from school/dismissed from jobs for smoking o 1930s-1940s, attack on tobacco, major health problem  Possible link between smoking and cancer o Two ways to respond to the threats  Formation of the “supposed council for tobacco research” to research health claims  Mass marketing of filter cigarettes and cigarettes with lowered tar and nicotine content o 1964 – advisory committee on smoking and health  Cigarette smoking cause for increased lung cancer in men o 1965 – cigarette packages required to include surgeon general’s warning o 1971 – television and radio ads banned o 1989 – smoking on busses and airplanes banned o Smoking ban in public buildings, bars, offices, restaurants…etc o 6300 people die from second hand smoke each year  Tobacco history in Canada o 1908 – tobacco restraint act passed in Canada  Banned sales of cigarette to people under 16 o Link between smoking and lung cancer established in medical literature in 1950s  Tobacco industry tried to hide negative health effects o 1974 – Canadian council on smoking and health formed  Canadian Cancer society, Canadian heart foundation, Heart and Stroke foundation, Canadian lung association o 1988-1989 – federal laws enacted to prohibit tobacco advertising and smoke-free workplace  Also required manufacturers list out additives and amounts  Required them to put health warning on packages o 1993 – raised legal age to 18 o 1994 – bigger warning messages required on cigarette packs o 1995 – supreme court of Canada squashed ban on tobacco advertising o 1997 – tobacco act passed  Restricted promotions, packaging and products, imposed point-of-sale restrictions o The quest for “safer” cigarettes  If nicotine content of cigarettes is varied, smoking behaviour changes  Tar  Sticky brown stuff (seen on filter after cigarette is smoked)  Introduced safer cigarettes (1950s)  Filter cigarettes  1980s – low tar and nicotine cigarettes dominated market  Safer doesn’t necessarily mean “safe” 2 Drugs and Behaviour – Chapter 10  Liggett developed cigarette that significantly reduced number of tumours in mice compared with company’s standard brand  Noncigarette cigarette  Appearance of plastic cigarette, product contained catalytic crystals coated with tobacco extract but no obvious tobacco  Produced no smoke  Inhaling allowed user to absorb nicotine  Unable to find a way to market this product o Current cigarette use  Compared with national estimate of 12.7%, prevalence of smoking above average among those attending university in Quebec and Atlantic provinces, lowest among BC and prairies  Almost perfectly inverse linear relationship between number of years of education and percentage of group that smokes cigarettes  8% of 15-19 still become regular smokers  3% of grade 6-9 smoked  13% of grade 10-12 regular smokers  Aboriginals  82% 15-19 smoke  70% of Inuit 18-45 smoke o Smokeless tobacco  1970s – tried to look for alternatives that reduce risk  Sales of smokeless tobacco – different chewing tobacco – began to increase  Most common type of oral smokeless tobacco are loose leaf sold in pouches and moist snuff  Moist snuff – finely chopped tobacco, held in mouth rather than snuffed into nose  Advantages  Unlikely to cause lung cancer  Less expensive than cigarettes  More socially acceptable than smoking in some scenarios  Dangers/hazards  Contain potent carcinogens, high levels of nitrosamines o Nitrosamines – carcinogenic chemical, found in tobacc  Tissue change in mouth leukoplakia o Whitening and thickening of mucous tissue in mouth, considered to be precancerous  Irritation of gums cause them to inflame and recede, exposing teeth to disease  Oral use of smokeless tobacco significant health risk  Can cause cancerous/noncancerous oral conditions  Nicotine addiction/dependence o Are cigars back?  Mid 1990s – reappeared back on cul
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit