Textbook Notes (362,899)
Canada (158,093)
York University (12,350)
ADMS 2400 (101)
Chapter 4

Chapter 4 A complete chapter 4 note taken from both the lecture and book.

6 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
Administrative Studies
ADMS 2400
Sabrina Deutsch Salamon

Chapter 4 – Job Satisfaction Job Satisfaction: A pleasurable emotional state resulting from the appraisal of one’s job or job experiences; representing how a person feels and thinks about his or her job. In other words, it represents how you feel about your job and what you think about your job. Values: Things that people consciously or unconsciously want to seek or attain. Value-percept Theory : A theory that argues that job satisfaction depends on whether the employee perceives that his or her job supplies those things that he or she values. Dissatisfaction = (Value Want – Value Have) X (Value importance) Categories (Satisfaction) Specific Values Pay High salary, Secure salary Promotions Frequent promotions, Promotions based on ability Supervision Good supervisory relations, Praise for good work Co-workers Enjoyable co-workers, Responsible co-workers Work Itself Utilization of ability, Freedom of independence, Intellectual stimulation, Creative expression, Sense of achievement Altruism (Selflessness) Helping others, Moral causes Status Prestige, Power over others, Fame Environment Comfort, Safety Which of these things are most important to you? In addition, Value-precept theory suggests that people evaluate job satisfaction according to specific aspects of the job. Pay Satisfaction: Employee’s feelings about the compensation for their jobs. As much as they deserve, secure, and adequate for both normal expenses and luxury items. How our pay compares to others matters in job satisfaction, rather than the total amount of pay desired. Promotion Satisfaction: Employee’s feelings about how the company handles promotions. Whether promotions are frequent, fair and based on ability. Unlike pay, where some employees may not want frequent promotions because promotions bring more responsibility and increased work hours. Promotions provide opportunities for more personal growth, a better wage and more prestige. Supervision Satisfaction: Employee’s feelings about their boss, including his or her competency, communication and personality. Whether the boss is polite, competent and a good communicator V.S. lazy, annoying and too distant. Can they help me attain the things that I value? And Are they generally likable? Co-worker Satisfaction: Employee’s feelings about their co-workers, including their abilities and personalities. Whether co-workers are smart, responsible, helpful, fun and interesting as opposed to lazy, gossipy, unpleasant, and boring. Can they help me do my job? Do I enjoy being around them? Satisfaction with the work itself: Employee’s feelings about their actual work tasks. Whether tasks are challenging, interesting, respected and make use of key skills rather than being dull, repetitive, and uncomfortable. This aspect focuses on what employees actually do rather than the work and the people that surround work. Value-percept theory suggests that employees will be satisfied when they perceive that their job offers the pay, promotions, supervision, co-workers and work tasks that they value. Satisfaction with the work itself is the single strongest driver of overall job satisfaction. Supervision and co-worker satisfaction are also strong drivers. Promotion and Pay satisfaction are moderately strong effects. SATISFACTION WITH THE WORK ITSELF CONTINUED: Scientific Management focuses on increasing the efficiency of job tasks by making them more simplified and specialized and using time and motion studies to plan task movements an sequences carefully. Result was lower job satisfaction, due to simplified tasks. Boring jobs may be easier, but not necessarily better. 3 Psychological States make work satisfying: Meaningfulness of Work: A psychological state indicating the degree to which work tasks are viewed as something that counts in the employee’s system of philosophies and beliefs (making a difference in the organization). Responsibility of Outcome:
More Less

Related notes for ADMS 2400

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.