Administrative Studies
Course
ADMS 2400
Professor
Paul Favaro
Semester
Fall

Description
adms 2400 CHAPTER 3 ORGANIZATIONAL COMMITMENT A. ORGANIZATIONAL COMMITMENT o Organizational commitment – an employee’s desire to remain a member of an organization. o Voluntary turnover = employees decide themselves to quit. Involuntary turnover = employees are fired o Withdrawal behaviour – employee actions that are intended to avoid work situations B. WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE “COMMITTED”? 1. Forms of Commitment a) Affective commitment  Affective commitment – an employee’s desire to remain a member of an organization due to the feeling of emotional attachment  Staying because you want to  Employees who are affectively committed to their employer tend to engage in more interpersonal and organizational citizenship behaviours (helping, booterism, sportsmanship)  The erosion model – suggests that employees with fewer bonds with co- workers are more likely to quit the organization  The social influence model – suggests that employees with direct linkages to co-workers who leave the organization will themselves become more likely to leave. b) Continuance Commitment  Continuance commitment – an employee’s desire to remain a member of an organization due to an awareness of the costs of leaving  Staying because you have to  One factor that increase continuance commitment is the total amount of investment that an employee has made in mastering his work role/ fulfilling his organizational duties  Another factor to increase this commitment is a lack of employment alternatives (depends on economic factors, unemployment rate)  Embeddedness – an employee’s connection to and sense to fit in the organization and community What “embedded” people feel Facet For the organization For the community Links - I’ve worked here for such a long - Several close friends and family live time nearby - I’m serving on so many teams and - My family’s roots are in this committees community Fit - My job utilizes my skills and - Suitable weather talent well - I think of the community I where I - I like the authority and live as home responsibility I have at this company Sacrifice - Excellent retirement benefits - Respect from people in the - I would sacrifice a lot if I leave community this job - Hard to leave the community c) Normative Commitment  Normative Commitment – an employee’s desire to remain a member of an organization due to an feeling of obligation  Staying because you ought to  Two ways to build a sense of obligation-based commitment among employees:  To create a feeling that the employee is in the organization’s debt (the organization spent a lot of money training and developing an employee)  Employees stay because the feel it is the right thing to do/ they want to give something back  people aren’t always committed to companies; they’re also committed to the top management that leads the firm at a given time, the department in which they work, the supervisor, team, co-workers  focus of commitment 2. Withdrawal Behaviour Four general ways reacting to negative work events:  Exit – one becomes often absent from work or voluntarily leaves the organization  Voice – an employee offers constructive suggestions for changes  Loyalty – one publicly supports the situation but privately hopes for improvement  Neglect – one’s interest and effort in work decline  Organizational commitment should increase the likelihood of “exit” and “neglect”, wh
More Less

Related notes for ADMS 2400

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit