September 19, 2013
UNIT 2 – STRATEGIC PLANNING AND HUMAN RESOURCES
• Strategic planning: procedures for making decisions about the organization’s long term
goals and strategies
• Human Resources Planning: process of anticipating and making provision for the
movement (flow) of people into, within, and out of an organization. Planning for future
• Strategic Human Resources Management: the pattern of human resources deployments
and activities that enable an organization to achieve its strategic goals. How can HRP and
strategic planning are aligned with business strategy to gain sustainable competitive
advantage and make sure that the right people are in the right jobs at the right time.
o Strategy formulation
Providing input as to what is possible given the types and numbers of people
o Strategy implementation
Making primary resource allocation decisions about structure, processes, and
• Strategic Analysis
o What human resources are needed and what are available?
• Strategic Formulation
o What is required and necessary in support of human resources?
• Strategic Implementation
o How will the human resources be allocated?
• External Labour Supply
o Canadian Occupational Projection System: looks at labour supply and demand over
Strategic Planning Process
• Step One – Mission, Vision, Values
o Mission ADMS 2600
September 19, 2013
The basic purpose of the organization as well as its scope of operations.
o Strategic Vision
A statement about where the company is going and what it can become in the
future; clarifies the long term direction of the company and its strategic intent.
o Core Values
The strong and enduring beliefs and principles that the company uses as a
foundation for its decisions.
• Step Two – Environmental Scanning
o Economic factors: general and regional conditions
o Competitive trends: new processes, services, and innovations
o Technological changes: robotics and office automation
o Political and legislative issues: laws and administrative rulings
o Social concerns: child care and educational priorities
o Demographic trends: age, composition, and literacy
o Scanning the Internal Environment
Cultural Audits: audits culture and quality of work life
• How do employees spend their time?
• How do they interact with each other?
• Are employees empowered?
• What is the predominant leadership style of managers?
• How do employees advance within the organization?