Chapter 1 Notes

5 Pages

Department
Administrative Studies
Course Code
ADMS 1000
Professor
Eytan Lasry

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Readings Chapter 1
Hows business in Canada?
Skilled work force, low cost of doing business, transportation system & access to domestic &
global markets
Cost-effective business real estate, favourable business climate & attractive quality of life
The economist intelligence unit (EIU) rates Canada #1 from 05-09
Business & Industry
Canada is #11 for its gross domestic product & per capita GDP
Manufacturing (transportation equipment, food, chemicals & petroleum products) is a key
part of the Canadian economy (more than 14%)
Employment & Labour
Workers are highly skilled, motivated & reasonably paid
Wages are stable
Competitiveness
Canada is the overall leader
Taxes & Spending
Theres no shortage of incentives to assist business taxpayers
Income taxes account for more than 8% of federal, provincial, territorial & local gmnt
revenue
Managing Canada
46% of workers are so unhappy that they would switch jobs
More people willing to leave jobs than beforegrass is greener elsewhere
27% say job performance is reflected by their pay
Changing GMs Organizational Structure
Changing to become more competitive
Reduce bureaucracy & rigid rules that impede innovation in car design
Little communication would occur among stages & departments
www.notesolution.com
Under new structure, GM can make better vehicles, & make better decisions regarding
design
The External Context of Business
Based on the organizations specific or task environment, & the organizations general
environment
Specific or Task Environment
Groups that have direct influence on the organizations ability to get resources & create
outputs
Includes organizations customers, suppliers, employees, competitors, unions, distributors,
creditors, local public & gmnt
General Environment
Forces that make up the general environment, such as economic, competitive, technological,
societal, global & political forces
Economic Forces
Influences the present & future of an organization
International economic gmnt ties between U.S.A. and Canada
Organizations are forced to adapt to economic conditions
When short of money, downsizing is forced ie. During recession in 1990s, massive downsizing
& layoffs of members
Downsizing also effects relationship b/w employee-employer
Lifetime employment is more rare these days more popular from 1950s-1970s
Today part-time & temporary work are more common
Competitive Forces
Organizations are always creating new & better methods of serving customers **innovation
Technological Forces
Technology is important for how organizations function, how the obtain resources & how
effective they are
Technology increased flexibility in work arrangements telecommuting (work from home),
use of fax machines to get things to the office efficiently
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Readings – Chapter 1 How’s business in Canada? Skilled work force, low cost of doing business, transportation system & access to domestic & global markets Cost-effective business real estate, favourable business climate & attractive quality of life The economist intelligence unit (EIU) rates Canada #1 from ’05-‘09 Business & Industry Canada is #11 for its gross domestic product & per capita GDP Manufacturing (transportation equipment, food, chemicals & petroleum products) is a key part of the Canadian economy (more than 14%) Employment & Labour Workers are highly skilled, motivated & reasonably paid Wages are stable Competitiveness Canada is the overall leader Taxes & Spending There’s no shortage of incentives to assist business taxpayers Income taxes account for more than 8% of federal, provincial, territorial & local gmnt revenue Managing Canada 46% of workers are so unhappy that they would switch jobs More people willing to leave jobs than before “grass is greener elsewhere” 27% say job performance is reflected by their pay Changing GM’s Organizational Structure Changing to become more competitive Reduce bureaucracy & rigid rules that impede innovation in car design Little communication would occur among stages & departments www.notesolution.com Under new structure, GM can make better vehicles, & make better decisions regarding design The External Context of Business Based on the organizations specific or task environment, & the organization’s general environment Specific or Task Environment Groups that have direct influence on the organization’s ability to get resources & create outputs Includes organization’s customers, suppliers, employees, competitors, unions, distributors, creditors, local public & gmnt General Environment Forces that make up the general environment, such as economic, competitive, technological, societal, global & political forces Economic Forces Influences the present & future of an organization International economic gmnt ties between U.S.A. and Canada Organizations are forced to adapt to economic conditions When short of money, downsizing is forced ie. During recession in 1990’s, massive downsizing & layoffs of members Downsizing also effects relationship b/w employee-employer Lifetime employment is more rare these d ayms ore popular from 1950’s-1970’s Today part-time & temporary work are more common Competitive Forces Organizations are always creating new & better methods of serving customers **innovation Technological Forces Technology is important for how organizations function, how the obtain resources & how effective they are Technology increased flexibility in work arrangeme nttelecommuting (work from home), use of fax machines to get things to the office efficiently www.notesolution.com Societal Forces Example—increasing concern for welfare as societies learn more about human rights Fairness in the workplace, pay equity between genders Business’ must respond to soci etychange (aging population= more healthcare) Values/ethics about operations
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit