Chapter 9 Notes

6 Pages

Department
Administrative Studies
Course Code
ADMS 1000
Professor
Eytan Lasry

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Readings- Chapter 9
Forces for Change
1.Economic Change
Is the economy healthy or weak?
Downsizing is more likely in lean times than rich
Changes also effect employer-employee relationships; lifetime employment doesnt occur
now
Part-time & temporary work is more common
Pattern of career movement within an organization more flatter hierarchies
2.Competitive Change
Competition will always be there; understanding what to do next is critical
Organizations must adapt to change as markets get faster-growing & theres more
demand
Organizations must constantly be creating new & better methods for serving customers
3.Technological Change
Technology is always changing
It brings threats & benefits (flexibility telework)
4.Legal/Political Change
Deregulation & privatization are governmental changes on business strategy
Increased emphasis on organizational justice how employees are treated
There are more laws based on fairness
Compensation pay equity among different people
Merit-based pay & pay-for-performance
5.Societal Change
Businesses must adapt to societies & changes they undergo
Ie, aging population is in demand for health care
www.notesolution.com
Increasing education level at work has created changes knowledge work
6.Global Change
Globalization affects people around the world
borderless corporations
Why do Organizations Resist Change?
Most organizations find it difficult to adapt to change; some die out because of it
Organizations are based on stability in its operations & functions
Changes to structural features disrupts an organizations routines & can affect its
reliability & accountability
Change can be disruptive, costly & rarely successful
We are lead by a machine bureaucracy tasks that are simple & repetitive, the machine
bureaucracy is suitable because of rules, the standardization of tasks, & efficiency
Types of Change
1.Developmental Change
Attempts to improve upon what the business is currently doing, rather than creating
something completely new
This may include the improvement of existing skills, processes, methods, performance
standards or conditions
Ie, increasing sales or quality of goods, interpersonal communication training, simple
work process improvements, team development & problem solving efforts may be
considered forms of developmental change
2.Transitional Change
This replaces what already exists with something new & requires the organization to
depart from old methods of operating while the new state is being established
Ie, reorganizations, simple mergers or acquisitions, creation of new products/services, &
information technology implementations that dont require a huge shift in culture or
behaviour
2 factors that distinguish transitional from transformational a) its possible to
determine the final destination or state in detail before the transitional change is
implemented; this permits the change to be managed. B) transitional change impacts
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Readings- Chapter 9 Forces for Change 1. Economic Change Is the economy healthy or weak? Downsizing is more likely in lean times than rich Changes also effect employer-employee relationships; lifetime employment doesn’t occur now Part-time & temporary work is more common Pattern of career movement within an organization more flatter hierarchies 2. Competitive Change Competition will always be there; understanding what to do next is critical Organizations must adapt to change as markets get faster-growing & there’s more demand Organizations must constantly be creating new & better methods for serving customers 3. Technological Change Technology is always changing It brings threats & benefits (flexibiliy telework) 4. Legal/Political Change Deregulation & privatization are governmental changes on business strategy Increased emphasis on organizational just icehow employees are treated There are more laws based on fairness Compensation pay equity among different people Merit-based pay & pay-for-performance 5. Societal Change Businesses must adapt to societies & changes they undergo Ie, aging population is in demand for health care www.notesolution.com Increasing education level at work has created cha ngensowledge work 6. Global Change Globalization affects people around the world “borderless” corporations Why do Organizations Resist Change? Most organizations find it difficult to adapt to change; some “die out” because of it Organizations are based on stability in its operations & functions Changes to structural features disrupts an organizations routines & can affect its reliability & accountability Change can be disruptive, costly & rarely successful We are lead by a machine bureaucra cytasks that are simple & repetitive, the machine bureaucracy is suitable because of rules, the standardization of tasks, & efficiency Types of Change 1. Developmental Change Attempts to improve upon what the business is currently doing, rather than creating something completely new This may include the improvement of existing skills, processes, methods, performance standards or conditions Ie, increasing sales or quality of goods, interpersonal communication training, simple work process improvements, team development & problem solving efforts may be considered forms of developmental change 2. Transitional Change This replaces what already exists with something new & requires the organization to depart from old methods of operating while the new state is being established Ie, reorganizations, simple mergers or acquisitions, creation of new products/services, & information technology implementations that don’t require a huge shift in culture or behaviour 2 factors that distinguish transitional from transformatio naal ) its possible to determine the final destination or state in detail before the transitional change is implemented; this permits the change to be managed. B) transitional change impacts www.notesolution.com employees only at the levels of skills & actions, but ore at the more personal levels of mindset, behaviour & cultures 3. Transformational Change Harder to manage compared to other 2 The future state or destination cased but the change is unknown when the transformation begins; the final state is determined through trail & error It can’t be managed with predetermined, time-bound or “linear” plans The actual change process only emerged as the change is implemented Managers/employees must operate in the “unknown” The future state is so different that employees & their culture must change to successfully implement this type of change; new mindsets & behaviours are required Methods of Change: Theory E & Theory O Change Change often includes structural change, cost cutting, process change & cultural change Theory E- has as its purpose the creation of economic value, often expressed as shareholder value. Its focus is on formal structure & systems Change is based on the notion of maximizing shareholder value Methods include change to organizational structure & systems Planning tends to emanate from the highest levels of organization, making it a “top driven”, programmatic approach Performance bonuses, personnel reduction, asset sales, strategic restructuring of business units ie, Scott Paper main objective was to increa
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit