Chapter 1-6

22 Pages

Department
Administrative Studies
Course Code
ADMS 2511
Professor
Anne Chow

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 22 pages of the document.
Chapter 1
Information Systems: to get the right information to the right people at the right time in
the right amount and in the right format
Data items: refer to an elementary description of things, events, activities, and transactions
that are recorded, classified, and stored but which are not organized to convey any specific
meaning
Information: refers to data that has been organized so that they have meaning and value to
the recipient
Knowledge: consists of data and/or information that has been organized and processed to
convey understanding, experience, accumulated learning, and expertise as applied to a
current business problem
Information Technology Architecture:
High level map or plan of the information assets in an organization
Integrates the entire organizations business needs for information, the it
infrastructure and all applications
Shows how all aspects of information technology in an organization fit together
Information Technology Infrastructure:
Consists of physical facilities, IT components, IT services, and IT personnel that
support the entire organization
It components are the computer hardware, software, and communications
technologies that provide the foundation for all of an organizations information
systems (bottom of pyramid)
Middle of the pyramid, IT personnel use IT components to produce IT services,
which include data management, systems development, and security development
www.notesolution.com
Global web based platform: enables individuals to connect, compute, communicate,
collaborate, and compete everywhere and anywhere, anytime and all the time, to access
limitless amounts of information, services, and entertainment to exchange knowledge and
to produce and sell goods and services. Enables globalization
Globalization: integration and increasing interdependence across geographic boundaries, of
economic, social, cultural, and ecological facets of life
First era: 1422-1800, force behind globalization was how much muscle, horsepower,
wind power, or steam power a country had and could deploy
oFocus: on countries
Second era: 1800-2000, force was multinational companies (headquarters in one
country but operated in more)
oFocus: Companies
Third era: 2000-till now, emergence of global, web based platform
oFocus: Groups and individuals
Freidmans 10 Flatteners: contributed to the emergence of third era and the flat world
www.notesolution.com
Fall of the Berlin Wall:
oNov 1989, subsequently follows the collapse of the Soviet Union and the
communist governments of Eastern Europe enabled these countries to move
toward free-market economics and away from totalitarian, centrally planned
economics
oCountries joined EU and grew single market
Netscape goes public
oAug 1995, made internet public and in a format easy to use
Development of work flow software
oEnables computer applications to interoperate or communicate and work with
one another without human intervention
Uploading
oCreating and uploading content to the web
Outsourcing
oTaking specific function that your company was doing itself, having another
company perform that same function for you, and then integrating their work
back into your operation
oTo lower costs and concentrate on core competancies
Offshoring
oCompany moves an entire operation or certain tasks to another country
oCheaper labour, lower taxes, fewer benefits
oServe a foreign market without trade barriers
Supply Chaining
oCompanies, suppliers, and their customers collaborate and share information
Insourcing
oDelegates operations or jobs within a business to another company which
specializes in those operations
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 1 Information Systems: to get the right information to the right people at the right time in the right amount and in the right format Data items: refer to an elementary description of things, events, activities, and transactions that are recorded, classified, and stored but which are not organized to convey any specific meaning Information: refers to data that has been organized so that they have meaning and value to the recipient Knowledge: consists of data andor information that has been organized and processed to convey understanding, experience, accumulated learning, and expertise as applied to a current business problem Information Technology Architecture: High level map or plan of the information assets in an organization Integrates the entire organizations business needs for information, the it infrastructure and all applications Shows how all aspects of information technology in an organization fit together Information Technology Infrastructure: Consists of physical facilities, IT components, IT services, and IT personnel that support the entire organization It components are the computer hardware, software, and communications technologies that provide the foundation for all of an organizations information systems (bottom of pyramid) Middle of the pyramid, IT personnel use IT components to produce IT services, which include data management, systems development, and security development www.notesolution.comGlobal web based platform: enables individuals to connect, compute, communicate, collaborate, and compete everywhere and anywhere, anytime and all the time, to access limitless amounts of information, services, and entertainment to exchange knowledge and to produce and sell goods and services. Enables globalization Globalization: integration and increasing interdependence across geographic boundaries, of economic, social, cultural, and ecological facets of life First era: 1422-1800, force behind globalization was how much muscle, horsepower, wind power, or steam power a country had and could deploy o Focus: on countries Second era: 1800-2000, force was multinational companies (headquarters in one country but operated in more) o Focus: Companies Third era: 2000-till now, emergence of global, web based platform o Focus: Groups and individuals Freidmans 10 Flatteners: contributed to the emergence of third era and the flat world www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit