ADMS 3410 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: Task Analysis, Outsourcing, Metacognition

54 views5 pages
Chapter 5: Training Design
- Training Design is the process of preparing and planning events to facilitate learning.
- Training design activities;
Write training objectives
Decide to purchase or design a training program
Create a request for proposal (RFP) to purchase training services and programs
Determine the training content
Decide on the training methods
Incorporate active practice and conditions of practice into the training program
Consider design elements for active learning if adaptive expertise is required.
Training Objectives
- A training objective is a stateet that ases the uestio, hat should taiees e
ale to do at the ed of taiig poga?. It is the epeted o iteded outoe of
training.
- Training objectives are an important link between the needs analysis stage and the
other stages of the training and development process.
- It serves a number of purposes for trainees, trainers, and managers described in table
5.2. Thus it is important to write a training objective prior to designing a training
program.
Writing a training objective
- A training objective should contain four key elements of the desired outcome, as
follows;
Who is to perform the desired behaviour? Employees and managers are the
easiest to identify
What is the actual behaviour to be used to demonstrate mastery of the training
content or objective?
Where and when is the behaviour to be demonstrated and evaluated (i.e, under
what conditions)? The tools, equipment, information, and other source materials
for training should be specified.
What is the standard by which the behaviour will be judged?
- Training objectives should closely resemble the task analysis.
- When the four elements are included in a training objective. The final written objective
should contain three key components:
Performance: What the trainee will be able to do after the training. What work
behaviour the trainee will be able to display.
Condition: The tools, time, and situation under which the trainee is expected to
perform the behaviour. Where and when the behaviour will occur.
Criterion: The level of acceptable performance, standard, or criteria against
which performance will be judged.
- In summary, a training objective contains an observable action with a measurable
criterion outlining the conditions of performance.
The purchase or design decision
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
- Outsourcing is the use of an external supplier to provide training and development
programs and services. The main reasons for outsourcing are cost savings, time savings,
and improvements in compliance and accuracy.
- Programs developed internally also have some advantages, including security and
ofidetialit, use of the ogaizatio’s laguage, iopoatio of the ogaizatio’s
values, use of internal content expertise, understanding of the specific target audience
and organization, and the pride and credibility of having a customized program.
Purchase decision factors
- One of the most important factors is the cost of each alternative. Other factors must
also be considered. For example, the human resources staff must have the time and
expertise to design a training program.
- Time is also a factor in terms of how soon the organization wants to begin training.
Another factor is the number of employees who need to be trained and the extent to
hih futue eploees ill euie taiig. If it’s a sall number, then it is probably
not worthwhile to design a new training program.
Request for Proposal (RFP)
- If hiring a vendor or consultant, it begins with a request for proposal (RFP), which is a
douet that outlies to potetial edos ad osultats the ogaizatio’s taiig
and project needs.
- A RFP should poide detailed ifoatio aout the ogaizatio’s taiig eeds ad
the nature pf the project.
Training Content
- If a decision is made to design a training program, the next step is to determine the
training content.
- It might be necessary to consult a subject-matter expert (SME) who is familiar with the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform a task or job and who can specify the
training content.
Training Methods
- The next step is to decide what training methods will be used.
- Training methods can be classified into a number of different categories, such as active
versus passive methods, one-way versus two-way communication, or informational
versus experiential.
- Learning and retention are best achieved through the use of training methods that
promote productive responses from trainees and actively engage trainees in the
learning material.
- Productive responses are those in which the trainee actively uses the training content
rather than passively watching, listening to, or imitating the trainer. It is believed that
training methods that encourage active participation during training also enhance
learning.
- Blended Training is the use of a combination of approaches to training, such as
classroom training, on-the-job training, and computer technology.
Active Practice
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Training design is the process of preparing and planning events to facilitate learning. Incorporate active practice and conditions of practice into the training program. A training objective is a state(cid:373)e(cid:374)t that a(cid:374)s(cid:449)e(cid:396)s the (cid:395)uestio(cid:374), (cid:862)(cid:449)hat should t(cid:396)ai(cid:374)ees (cid:271)e a(cid:271)le to do at the e(cid:374)d of t(cid:396)ai(cid:374)i(cid:374)g p(cid:396)og(cid:396)a(cid:373)?(cid:863). It is the e(cid:454)pe(cid:272)ted o(cid:396) i(cid:374)te(cid:374)ded out(cid:272)o(cid:373)e of training. Training objectives are an important link between the needs analysis stage and the other stages of the training and development process. It serves a number of purposes for trainees, trainers, and managers described in table. Thus it is important to write a training objective prior to designing a training program. Training objectives should closely resemble the task analysis. When the four elements are included in a training objective. The final written objective should contain three key components: performance: what the trainee will be able to do after the training.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers