The History of Computing
Moore’s Law Modified
The chip density was doubling every 18 months
Moore’s Law Modified 2
Computer will either double in power at the same
List of the Early Inventors
• Middle of XVII. Blaise Pascal – French
mathematician. Built a geardriven
mechanical machine, which performed
wholenumber addition and subtraction.
• XVII. Gottgried Wilhelm Leibniz –
German mathematician. Built he first price or
halve in mechanical device designed to do all cost for the
same wholenumber operations: addition, power every 18
subtraction, multiplication and division. months.
Wasn’t very reliable. Machine language
• Late XVIII. Joseph Jacquard developed
a Jacquard’s loom used for weaving
The History of Computingused an important
form of input – punched cards.
• XIX. Charles Babbage – British
mathematician. Designed Analytical
EngineComputer Hardwarempleted. First
• XIX. Ada Lovelace – the first
programmer. The concept of the loop. A Auxiliary storage devices –
First Gdaughter of Lord Byron. storage devices external to the
• The end XIX – beginning XX. computer memory.
• Vacuum William Burroughs – mechanical adding
• Primarymachine.device – magnetic drum
• Card reader – the input device. Read the holes punched in an IBM
card Herman Hollerith – electromechanical
tabulator, which read information from a
• Printerpunched card. Has formed IBM. Assembly language
• Magn•ti1936. Alan Turing – British by the end of the generation. Highlevel language
• Lamathematician. Invented an abstract
• Personal Computer has entered the vocabulary.
• •Apple, Atari, Commodore, Sun.ENIAC are SYSTEM
Se•onIMB PC, Dell and Compaq, Apple Macintosh SOFTWARE
•••WT19501951 John von Neumann worked ware. APPLICATION