English
Course
EN 2012
Professor
Terry Goldie
Semester
Winter

Description
The Femmeinist Manifesto Duggan and McHugh EN 2012Professor Terry GoldieJanuary 31 2011 For femme is not an identity not a history not a location on the map of desire I The Femme IdentityA proposal or working proposition femme is the je ne sais quoi of desiring difference prior to any determination of sexual preference or gender identity Femme is put on a puton fetish production at the hands of subject becoming object becoming fetish while always retaining a sense of the performance always amused yet here is the challenge the gauntlet she throws down possibly bored by its effects Femme is the performativity the insincerity the mockery the derision for foreplaythe bet the dare the bringing to attention of the suitor the one who would provide her pleasure The performer who demands performance in return the player who brings pleasure into play Femme is neither an ideal nor a category She steals the show she is the show of difference but she cannot be fixed as a certain effect in itself Femme is always interactionable never onanistic or narcissistic Mirrors are not the pool in which she drowns they are the instrument or metaphor of her essential irony Her perspective is always partially extrasensoryBergers women watch themselves being watched In her doubled gaze virility risks itself utterly Nietzsche understood this risk wellthe lover the suitor the watcher watched assessed mocked calculated Doublesighted however well intentioned she will only ever speak one truth at the expense of an other In her inscriptionfemmewe find the enclosure of an ego me a fundamental challenge to the category the slot the ideal of the feminine Refusing the fate of GirlByNature the femme is GirlByChoice Finding in androgyny the rejection of all femininity too much loss too little pleasure and ugly shoes the femme takes from the feminine a wardrobe a walk a wink then moves on to sound the death knell of an abject sexuality contorted and subjected to moral concerns
More Less

Related notes for EN 2012

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit